Aspire One Windows XP WLAN problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by a.d.b., Aug 21, 2008.

1. a.d.b.

a.d.b.

Hi, just got my One, and here's the problem:
    Using the wireless, I detect AP's, both my own and my neighbours. When I hit the connect-button, It starts the usual XP-connect-sequence, untill it gives me the "Limited connection (or something like that)" message. In my experience, this usually is a problem with the wifi getting the ip-address. And this is also true with the One. It sets the automatically to 169.something. The AP is running DHCP, and all other computers get ip-address, and works like it should. Having checked the TCP/IP setting for the wifi, it is set (as it should) to receiving IP-adress etc automatically.

So, and ideas? And protocols I should install or anything? Common problem? n00bie?

Thanks,

Audun

a.d.b., Aug 21, 2008
  2. a.d.b.

hongcho

Do you have a MAC-based filter on your WiFi router? That's usually when I see that message.

Or do you have encryption that matches (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)?

Hong.

hongcho, Aug 21, 2008
  3. a.d.b.

Methoz

I have a silimar problem... LAN is working, but WLAN (with WPA2-PSK) seems to be not possible... the A150X tries to connect but is not successful. No MAC-based filter installed (yet). Any ideas? :|

Methoz

Methoz, Aug 21, 2008
  4. a.d.b.

WhyFi

I just got my Aspire One and I can't seem to get it to connect either. I just get the "acquiring network address" message forever. Anyone have any ideas on this?

I've tried everything including assigning it a static IP instead in DCHP. Then it seems to connect to the Wifi, but not to the internet (problem with the DNS server). This isn't a good solutions for traveling anyway.

Help! If I can't get this thing to connect to a network, I'm sending it back.

WhyFi, Aug 22, 2008
  5. a.d.b.

Shrike

Just a longshot, try changing your WiFi CHANNEL. Usually, the default is 5... Which everybody uses. And it may be interfering too, I usually set mine to 11. Like as in 11 is better than 10!!

Shrike, Aug 26, 2008
  6. a.d.b.

gurglemoo

Changing the channel is one of the best tips for wi-fi - ESPECIALLY if you are in a busy area!!

gurglemoo, Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question