Aspire one - will not boot up from recovery disc

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by neillongsden, Dec 18, 2012.

1. neillongsden

neillongsden

Help please. We use an Aspire One running on Linux solely for internet but when we switch it on the screen fills up with L99. I've tried to use the recovery disc by burning it onto a usb memory stick but it stops in the recovery process after 4 mins, I have a detachable cd drive so tried to use the cd, this also stops after 5 minutes, both with error messages.
    How can I resolve this, please? Answers in words one syllabul as I am a techno thicky.
    Would it be easier to install a Windows OS? If so how do I do it and where do I obtain windows from? Best wishes Neil

neillongsden, Dec 18, 2012
  2. neillongsden

something back

something back, Dec 24, 2012
  3. neillongsden

neillongsden

Thank you 'something back'

Thank you for the link. What will that enable me to do, please? Does it re-format my hard drive so I can input a new os or will it enable me to use the recovery disc, please? Best wishes... Neil

neillongsden, Dec 27, 2012
  4. neillongsden

something back

It's a harddrive partition tool it will help with reformatting/partitioning.

if your recovery disc is complete i.e. will allow for a fresh full reload then it should work,if it's an upgrade disk then possibly not.

Don't forget that linix is free ON THE INTERNET.

something back, Dec 27, 2012
  5. neillongsden

neillongsden

Thank you for that, we only use this machine for my wife to have internet access but I am batting my head against the wall. I have created yet another USB pen drive from the recovery disc using a 8mb pen drive that had been re-formatted and was clean. It took apporx 3 mins to create the usb and on putting it into Acer One and following instructions it ran for 4 mins before stopping with an error message....... just as it had done on all the previous occasions.
    Is there a simple way we can just regain internet access for example by using the usb as a drive, or do I have to download another linux from the internet (which seems very complicated for me as I understand you have to make various adjustments to the computer settings etc) Failing that the acer goes to the landfill and Argos has another customer!!!

neillongsden, Dec 27, 2012
  6. neillongsden

something back

Hi Neil

Linux operating system has become quite easy to load and use,( don't worry )
    it's not to difficult.

Most will run from a cd or usb stick without the need to install them.
    So you can try them out and choose later to install if they work
    for you.

Also most Linux operating systems will find and enable your drivers, it should just work
    without any complicated procedures

Having only widows preloaded on my netbook I don't know how you are
    making your recovery usb. (I HAVE USED LINUX) ON MANY COMPUTERS.

Questions :

Immediately after powering on try holding down both ALT and f10
    keys WHAT HAPPENS?

Walk me through the process you are using to create your recovery USB.

Here's two links to look at

http://fileforum.betanews.com/search?s=LINUX&x=0&y=0

http://www.freewarefiles.com/search...ry=linux&boolean=exact&type=all&B1.x=0&B1.y=0

something back, Dec 27, 2012
  7. neillongsden

neillongsden

Thank you. When I pressed alt F10 the start-up screen showed; loud whining noise; PXE m0F media test failure check cable PXE m0F exiting PXE Rom; then L99 filled screen with a final message insert boot disc and press any key.

I have a laptop with windows 7 so inserted Recovery CD and USB stick; switched laptop off; switched on and selcted 'create usb'; it ran for 3 mins and then the completed screen appeared. I removed cd and usb.
    put usb into Acer one; started loading from usb but stopped after 4 and a hlaf mins Error: the program cannot continue. Press OK to exit the program'

If I downloaded anyn of the linux os systems onto a usb would they work on the acer even though the os on the machine is useless?

neillongsden, Jan 6, 2013
  8. neillongsden

something back

something back, Jan 7, 2013
  9. neillongsden

neillongsden

Thanks for that but I think I have sorted it!! I had another attempt at copying from cd to usb on a third stick and it ran for over 30 mins before the 'complete' message cam up. I then inserted the usb into the acer and it worked!!! We now have the system up and running and wife can check out the internet. HOWEVER....... her email address is [email protected]
    I've tried entering this into the email part of the communications suite and it says server is not recognised. The upshot is she can receive emails but can't send them, she can't even type text in the 'message' part of the email she wants to send (opny the address part and the subject part appear to work.
    Is this because the hotmail server (and yahoo) are to large for this system? If so is there an easy solution please? Sorry to burden you with further issues, and thank you for your patience....... Neil

neillongsden, Jan 8, 2013
  10. neillongsden

something back

Great news that you have a system up and working

Not to skilled with linux communications suite settings, it's worth you posting your precise questions directly in the linux section of this forum.

Another site to look at

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/forum.php

something back, Jan 8, 2013
Ask a Question