Aspire One vs EEE and MSI Wind

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by kev374, Nov 10, 2008.

1. kev374

kev374

I'm in the market for a NetBook and considering the Aspire One in addition to the eeePC 901, 1000HA and MSI Wind. Can someone highlight why the Aspire One is a better choice over the eeePC and MSI Wind? My primary concern with the Aspire One is that I have read some reports of a unusually loud fan noise and reliability issues.

I also had the issue betwee 8.9" vs 10" but I think I am leaning more towards 8.9" since I just tried one and the screen was surpisingly usable and the 10" had quite a bit more bulk which detracts against the purpose of buying a netbook in the first place.

Thanks.

kev374, Nov 10, 2008
  2. kev374

dale

if you're planning to buy the ssd version, EEE would be the one. If you're into the HDD, the aspire is the better choice. choosing amongst the three really depends on your location. (Service centers) In my experience (EEE and AAO), i really enjoy using my AA0 (although 8Gb ssd, i just formatted it into fat32 and viola, it defeates the EEE advantage on SSD). its much more good looking and the keyboard is much hand-friendly. plus, i didnt encounter the fan problem from the time i bought it (almost 4 months now, 12 Hrs non-stop working per day everyday). i encoutered the fan problem on the EEE.

MSI... uhh, what's that? (joke). :lol:

dale, Nov 10, 2008
  3. kev374

funk

funk, Nov 10, 2008
  4. kev374

Kei

I recommend you wait for a NC10 ;)

Kei, Nov 10, 2008
  5. kev374

Jaik

I seem to be saying this a lot recently, but for me it's the Acer's keyboard that is the clincher. I touch-type and adjusted to it in about half and hour and can probably type at 90% of my normal speed on it. The MSI keyboard is usable but not as nice as the Acer's, and quite frankly I think Asus should be embarrased to have released the Eee with such poor keyboards, they're dire.

Jaik, Nov 10, 2008
  6. kev374

Chicago_Jake

I second the vote for the keyboard on the Aspire One. I was leaning toward the EEE until I found them side by side at Micro Center. Typing on the Aspire One feels almost like typing on a full-sized keyboard; typing on the EEE felt like typing on a cell phone!

Of course, if you type with two fingers, that probably isn't an issue. Good luck!.......Jake

Chicago_Jake, Nov 10, 2008
  7. kev374

dkaile

I think Lenova S-10 is the current hottest competitor of the One...

dkaile, Nov 10, 2008
  8. kev374

goofball

I would say it is either the 1000H or the Samsung NC10. Samsung uses same keyboard style, also has the 6 cell battery. Lenovo S10 doesn't have 6 cell battery at this time.

goofball, Nov 11, 2008
  9. kev374

rjm

Both the fan noise and reliability issues are over-exaggerated, originating from a small subset of older units. They are non-issues at this point in time.

rjm, Nov 12, 2008
  10. kev374

kev374

thanks guys.
    MSI Wind is out from my criteria as I don't like it's trackpad, too small.

I will check out the Aspire One in the store tommorow but I must say that the 901 is also a pretty nice unit.

kev374, Nov 12, 2008
  11. kev374

goofball

If you think the trackpad on the MSI is too small, you won't like the AAO's either then.

goofball, Nov 12, 2008
  12. kev374

kev374

I'm expecting a small trackpad on the 8.9" but the MSI has a small trackpad but it's a larger 10" model

kev374, Nov 12, 2008
  13. kev374

jsebrech

I was in the same situation, only comparing the Eee with the AAO. I went with the AAO because of the nicer keyboard primarily. The Eee's keys aren't deep enough, I kept hitting keys in a higher or lower row. The fan noise is not a problem for me (it's what I expected, no better, no worse). The trackpad on the AAO is ok, not worse than most laptops, despite being relatively small. However, I'm just not a trackpad guy anyway. I never could get used to any trackpad, not even my macbook's, which is as nice as they come by trackpad standards.

jsebrech, Nov 12, 2008
  14. kev374

MN12BIRD

If you read the latest MaximumPC magazine they compare these 3 units and they gave the Aspire the higest score overal. From what I took from it the Asus is the slowest (really fell behind in the benchmarks even tho the three units have the same intel CPU and intel GMA50 intergrated graphics) but had the best battery life. The MSi had the bigger screen but the worst battery life. The Aspire was the happy medium. The price was the lowest IIRC, the performance was on par with the MSi but the battery life was a little longer (but 9" screen VS 10" screen)

I don't own one so I cant tell you anything more than the review but you should check it out.

MN12BIRD, Nov 26, 2008
  15. kev374

goofball

They tested the SSD EEE, not the 904HA or 901HD. It's not a fair comparison, imo, to compare ssd models to hdd models.

Acer is definitely the cheapest in the review but it also only came with the 3 cell battery and 9" screen.

The one thing about the MSI and Asus is that they can be overclocked safely without skyrocketing temps. In comparison, the AAO doesn't have that option. I'm currently on an MSI U90 and it's not bad but the one most notable thing is that it gets nowhere near as hot as my AAO, even overclocked to ~2ghz. It's also quieter. I do like the keyboard on the AAO better though. Might take some time to get used to.

Screen wise, the U90 is matte and that is pretty nice, especially with light coming in from windows. it's not as vibrant but not as reflective.

I haven't opened it yet as i'm not sure if i'm keeping it or the AAO. I did get a good deal on it (316 CAN after tax and all for 512MB/120gb/3cell U90). Contemplating the 904HA as it has the bigger keyboard found on the 1000H.

goofball, Nov 26, 2008
  16. kev374

info

For all-around usability with a big hard drive, good keyboard, hardware perfectly matched to the OS, battery life, weight, etc., at this *moment,* the XP AAO w/160 HD and 6 cell battery is almost impossible to beat imho. As someone mentioned earlier, the problems with the internet connections and the fan seem to have been resolved as can be seen from many recent posts. I received mine yesteday and was configuring it until 3:00am this morning. It has taken everything I've thrown at it without hiccuping once. This is like having a ultraportable desktop. Everything works. There are also subtleties in the Acer design such as the positioning of the indicator lights, the black bezel on the white body, the excellent keyboard layout, and much more. If you are thinking of the Asus, take a look at where the right shift key is (someone else mentioned how totally awkward this is). My recommendation here is, of course, somewhat biased but, I'm trying to remain objective. ;)

Good Luck!

info, Nov 26, 2008
Ask a Question