Aspire One says there is no connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Janset, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Janset

Janset

Hi all.

I recently purchased a new Acer Aspire One, D250. My home network is via Ethernet. When connected in this fashion the AA1 automatically connects to the Internet and all is well.

Seeing that I purchased this unit to use whilst traveling I decided to test out the WiFi side of things. To do this I had to go over to a friends house whose network was via WiFi. Once there I went through all the motions for a WiFi Network connection using the on-board wizard.

At one point during the installation I was presented with a page/panel from which I had to choose if I wanted to make a cable (Ethernet) or a WiFi connection. I selected WiFi. This done, another advice notice advised me that I had a strong signal. So I decided to test it out by connecting to the Internet using the newly created WiFi.

I clicked on the Internet Explorer shortcut from the desk top only to be told that I did not have an Internet connection.

I thought that I may have missed something, so I repeated the Wizard thing again, but when I got to the page that asked me to make a selection between a cable connection (Ethernet) or WiFi I found that the selection had defaulted back to cable connection.

I do not know if this is usual or not, but either way, why do I not have an Internet connection if the AA1 show that I have a strong radio signal? :(

All help appreciated.

Janset, Jan 17, 2010
  2. Janset

AcmeUK

Hi

I assume that your friends WiFi is a secured connection. If so, did you put in the security key/passphrase when you set up the network connection?

If not, you can enter it by clicking on Settings (lower right of your screen), then Network Center. Then click on the link and select Edit.

You can then set up the Encryption type and Security key. You will have to get these from your friend.

Hope this helps.

AcmeUK, Mar 2, 2010
  3. Janset

Janset

Hi there.

Thanks for the response. I had completely forgotten about this request.

What eventuated was that I took the AA1 back to the store from where I purchased it and told them of my dilemma. The guy there fiddled with some settings and it now work like a charm. When asked, he told me that I had tried to activate two types of connections, Wifi and Ethernet.

Is this at all possible or was he just feeding me double talk? Anyway, all appears to be working now as it should . :D

Regards

Janset, Mar 3, 2010
Ask a Question