Aspire One - Live Update Gone Wrong

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JaKeB, Jul 10, 2009.

1. JaKeB

JaKeB

Okay I just got one of these Aspire One laptops they are quite good, but when I connected to my network it asked me to run live update, so I did, at network manager it crashed and I turned the laptop off but now when I load the laptop up the home screen appears but after 0.5 seconds it goes and Im left with the Taskbar, search bar at top right, and a grey background that says "Aspire One" I cant use any of the F1, F2 functions (to get the run command up) and I cant access my disk drive via the search bar I can search on the internet, or open up settings to update via ethernet.

Does anyone know how to get my home area back?

JaKeB, Jul 10, 2009
  2. JaKeB

JaKeB

Bump - I added the correct info this time lol.

JaKeB, Jul 10, 2009
  3. JaKeB

mrpostman

Can you alt ctrl and del to bring up the process manager? I dont know, but in there, it might be possible to launch or open the desktop, or the update manager to try again?

I presume you're running the linux version?

I'm no expert with Linux, so please do wait for further assistance with that.

Do answer my question about alt ctrl and del though in case any one can take you any further from that...

Another thing to do once you get this sorted is to add the XFCE menu to the panel/taskbar by running a terminal and typing xfce4-panel -a

then scrolling to the bottom (i think its at the very bottom) and dragging the xfce menu into your task bar. You could then get the terminal up and running if it happened again I think.

mrpostman, Jul 11, 2009
  4. JaKeB

JaKeB

I tried that, everything I would think of on windows I tried even tried going into firefox via the search menu then opening up the downloads folder. But if anyone here gets this problem I suggest downloading this "http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/"

Then clicking on Windows, run the exe. select Ubuntu 9.04, then choose your USB Disk drive, plug the USB into your Aspire ONE, then boot from USB by pressing F12 at startup. Now your laptop starts in Ubuntu and when you shutdown it asks if you would like to install the full thing to your HDD click yes then wait for 15mins, this not only unlocks the laptops full potential but lets you easily download and install various things, also it looks like a mac osx kind of now. So the only way, is to install another operating system or to download the recovery disk if you have the time and do it that way.

JaKeB, Jul 11, 2009
Ask a Question