Aspire One dead after 3 weeks.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Toma, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Toma

sanvara

My aspire just died tonight after 18 days. It was working fine, then rebooted and now nothing but a black screen. It powers on but it won't boot. The screen is completely blank. Bought it at Best Buy and the acer web site says take it to BB for warranty repair. Great, I have to trust a computer to BB techs? Ugh.

sanvara, Sep 16, 2008
  2. Toma

Murgatroid

Moderators: Can we PLEASE put a sticky prominently in multiple places that point people to this link?:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer ... overy.html

Maybe make the title say:

HOW TO FIX A DEAD ASPIRE ONE

-steve

Murgatroid, Sep 16, 2008
  3. Toma

danshe

I have one of the new ones (larger battery) on order at Amazon and all these failed Aspires are making me nervous. I don't remember these when the Asus first came out.
    Do those of you who've had them for a while regret buying them? I can still cancel my order but the Aspire is the mini that most appeals to me.

(Does this belong on a separate thread?)

danshe, Sep 17, 2008
  4. Toma

DiSK

Sad to hear about your AspireOne. Hope it gets fixed soon...\

Steve, I'm not sure if it's a function you have to implement, because I haven't seen any stickies, only announcements. And KiNG hasn't given us moderators the ability to sticky/hasn't implemented the sticky function. So, you will have to take your problem directly to him.

Man, I sound so...Formal? o_O Yuck. Haha. Anyway, justask KiNG. But again, if there are too many stickies, they will be useless...Hopefully people will search first...Before they post questions that have already been answered.

-DiSK

DiSK, Sep 17, 2008
  5. Toma

Toma

Thats fine, but it wont work all the time. There are more problems than just the biod sleep problem that can arise. The other thing, and this is a HUGE point. "It's only meant for emergencies and may void your warranty, so use at your own risk."
    Basically, this person makes a good point, that it can and most likely WILL void the warranty. You're flashing a bios yourself, as an untrained professional and still thinking your warranty will be valid. If you get a REAL hardware problem, and then hand them a laptop with a screwed up BIOS, theyll more than likely say it has been modified and the warranty is void.

So seriously, good luck. But if you want to run the risk of bricking your acer, then burning the warranty, its in your hands.

On a further note: Took the courier 1 week to get the laptop to Acer. That means, it took 2 weeks to get my laptop to the repair centre.

Toma, Sep 18, 2008
  6. Toma

tabzer

Bios files came from Acer website anyway... I am not sure u will void warranty that way since its originally a bios file/update for the aspire one(i would find it strange if it did). sometimes tech support does advise to do that, and if done correctly/accordingly it wont cause harm to your warranty -but i guess that will be subject to interpretation and situation..

anyways, used this fix, and revived my a1.. really quick fix, just booted after a few minutes everything back to normal.. i wonder how long acer tech guys wouldve figured it out if i went through the painful task of giving it to them -_-

-disabled hibernation afterwards, also recently upped the ram myself, so yeh dont have to worry much about warranty after that, if it really gets broken further on, no biggie.

tabzer, Sep 18, 2008
  7. Toma

oldsouth

Mine died on day two and now I'm stuck in limbo waiting for repairs. Not expected to be repaired until Oct 15th due to no parts in stock and no replacement units. Acer has a real problem on their hands with this and will not acknowledge the problem. They only claim that there is a wifi issues, but that it was fixed in the last bios update. Something is fishy here with so many people complaining about the same issue but Acer staying quiet. I really want my money back so I can buy something else. I think we are talking recall !!!

oldsouth, Sep 18, 2008
  8. Toma

news190

Mine to died after 2 days the last week :cry:
    So i brought back to the store, and should give me an another one in exchange but didn't have any in stock :cry:
    it was monday , and now we are saturday and i'm going to the store try to have an another one...

news190, Sep 20, 2008
  9. Toma

...BeAkEr...

2nd dead one in a month, this time I repaired it myself using the flash method, very easily done, took 5 minutes.

...BeAkEr..., Sep 20, 2008
  10. Toma

ipearl

Wasnt to hard just like installing a new Driver for ati that never come with good drivesr on relelase =P.

ipearl, Sep 21, 2008
  11. Toma

Tamrac

Hmmmm.... didn't have the slightest idea that alot of fellow AAO users are victims of this thing just suddenly dying.... Luckily our group got ours from a friend who owns the computer store. So if anything goes wrong, as in anything, we're free to have it replaced ASAP or get another brand unit. tsk tsk, this is not good news at all. Looks like we will be giving this thing a good testing in the coming weeks, see if one of our AAO will suddenly die.

Tamrac, Sep 21, 2008
  12. Toma

JohnP

My AA1 A150 did the same! :cry: I was ready to pack it up and trudge off to the not so local Micro Center to try and replace it. I was really bummed as I was getting it well on the way to what I was wanting in a netbook when it happened. When I saw all these other with the same problem here I was reconsidering replacing it and just get my money back till I saw this link. OK, went to the Acer site and got the latest BIOS download. Everything was there to set up with USB Drive. Deleted the BAT file and renamed the FD file as stated and it worked like a charm! :D I labeled that USB drive and will keep it in my tote for the AA1. I haven't looked to see if this is an updated BIOS, but that USB drive won't been too far away from it! :lol: JohnP

JohnP, Sep 21, 2008
  13. Toma

...BeAkEr...

yeah I now keep a small 1gb USB stick on my keys with the bios ready to go just in case it happens when i'm out and in need of the net

...BeAkEr..., Sep 22, 2008
  14. Toma

Toma

Sounds like a good idea.

Update on my laptops progress. Finally getting delivered back to me tomorrow. Apparently. So if you need a fix, expect to have no laptop for 4 weeks. Thats the crappy turn around I got.

<ramble>
    In that amount of time, I could have driven the laptop to Sydney/Melbourne from Perth twice (there and back). With a fast horse I could have probably ridden it there. In a hot air balloon, I probably could have made it with a good wind. Id speculate I could have rode a Panda most the way as well, tho the panda may not last the journey across the nullabor (Not much bamboo there).

In the 4 weeks it took to get it back, there was a new release of Gnome, the global stock markets crapped their pants, the US presidential race got VP's, Western Australia got a new premier, Hawthorn has made it to the grandfinal of AFL after a 15 or so year drought, the LHC was turned on, the LHC broke, and got a new job.
    </ramble>

Toma, Sep 25, 2008
  15. Toma

RockDoctor

To borrow a quote from Star Trek, "it's dead Jim." My AOA150-1570, affectionately known on my home network as Azurite, has given up the ghost after 36 days of problem-free service. :( When I hit the power switch the power light comes on but there's no drive movement. The fan runs, but very softly. I tried booting a known good USB stick; it lights up indicating it's got power, but it doesn't blink the way it does when booting, so that's a no-go.

I called the "local" (60 mi away) Microcenter store where I purchased my little laptot; the customer service person I spoke with told me to bring it in for a replacement, so that's the plan for tomorrow.

RockDoctor, Sep 25, 2008
  16. Toma

ipearl

I see more 150s dying than 110s or is it just me ?

ipearl, Sep 26, 2008
  17. Toma

RockDoctor

I got that feeling too as I was reading the posts in this topic. At this point I'd rather exchange my dead AO150 for a new (and presumably working) unit than open it up and perform an autopsy.

RockDoctor, Sep 26, 2008
  18. Toma

Toma

Got it back. Guess what. They replaced the mainboard, and said I had a different OS installed, even tho it was simply Linpus with E17 installed. NOW, I try playing a video on youtube, and find out that theres no sound. The headphone jack works fine, but the speakers dont. So Im guessing some moron in tech support didnt reconnect the speakers when repairing. Looks like Im going to have to send it off AGAIN. FFS. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Toma, Sep 27, 2008
  19. Toma

scottro

You know, petty as this is, there are times when I really want to say, "The Aspire One--it's cheaper for a reason." :)

On the other hand, I'm sure that had I gone with another netbook, there's probably analogous complaints about them, though perhaps of a different nature.

scottro, Sep 27, 2008
  20. Toma

RockDoctor

Microcenter replaced my unit with a brand new unit. The most obvious difference is that the new unit's slipcase has its slit on the long side rather than on the short side - possibly to accomodate the 6-cell battery?

RockDoctor, Sep 27, 2008
Ask a Question