Aspire One D257 with 4GB ?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by delctrl, Aug 22, 2011.

1. delctrl

delctrl

Hi all!

My girlfriend just got her brand new Aspire One D257 (AOD257-1679) and I'm wondering if it could support up to 4GB of RAM (I know Acer is telling it is working up to 2GB) ?

Does anybody here tried this out ?

Thank you very much!

delctrl, Aug 22, 2011
  2. delctrl

nestone

I understand this net book will support 4 gigs of ram as mentioned here: http://www.computermemoryoutlet.com/Ace ... memory.htm
    However if the OS is Windows 7 Starter 32 bit, your ram is limited to 2 gigs. I suspect you would have to upgrade the OS to Home Premium. You can do that via "Start" > "Windows Update." Look in the lower left hand corner and you will see "Windows Anytime Update." You can upgrade and pay in about 10 minutes with a wi-fi connection. Here is the memory limitations for all versions of Windows 7:
    Physical Memory Limits: Windows 7
    The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 7.
    Version Limit on X86 Limit on X64
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    4 GB
    192 GB
    Windows 7 Enterprise
    4 GB
    192 GB
    Windows 7 Professional
    4 GB
    192 GB
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    4 GB
    16 GB
    Windows 7 Home Basic
    4 GB
    8 GB
    Windows 7 Starter
    2 GB

nestone, Aug 22, 2011
  3. delctrl

delctrl

Thank you very much for your reply.

Currently there is not 2 banks for memory modules. Typo or something.... I think I can't go higher than 2 GB. :(

About win7, I'm will try another version than Starter. Not sure with version!

Thanks again!

delctrl, Aug 23, 2011
  4. delctrl

nestone

There is only one memory slot. I'm not that familiar with this particular net book. I do know all the earlier Acer net books have a 2 gig memory limitation as a result of the chip set. For instance, the old AOA-150 has 512k of memory soldered to the motherboard. While you can buy a 2 gig stick of memory that will fit the slot, the net book won't post if you fit it as a result of the chip set limitation (512K + 2 Gig module = 2.5 gigs) So, the maximum memory for the AOA-150 is limited to 1.5 gigs. (512K + 1 gig module = 1.5gig)
    So, if there is a 2 gig limitation as a result of the chip set, you are limited to 2 gigs regardless of the OS.
    Here is another link for memory to your girlfriend's computer: http://www.edgetechcorp.com/ram/Acer/As ... %29-Memory
    This site does say the limitation is 2 gigs. You can buy a single 4 gig memory module that would fit in the single slot as found here: http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CHgQ8wIwBA
    However, I'm not sure the net book would post (start) even if you upgraded the Windows 7 OS. As you have to partially disassemble the net book to get the memory, it isn't worth it, in my opinion, if you already have 2 gigs installed. Unless you can find someone who has actually successfully installed a 4 gig module you are risking a great deal of expense as the upgraded OS and a 4 gig stick of memory will cost you over $100.00.

nestone, Aug 23, 2011
  5. delctrl

Techno

A 4GB DDR3 SODIMM costs around USD $25 here.

Anyway, Intel specs say the Atom processor can only address up to 2GB.

Techno, Aug 28, 2011
  6. delctrl

jacob030

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has tried a 4 gig module in this model yet? I am looking to upgrade my ram. I would like to put a 4 gig instead of 2 gig, as the price for 4 gig is only a few dollars more. Thanks

jacob030, Feb 25, 2012
  7. delctrl

thunderbolt

Nope, I tried and the D257 won't POST.

Interesting to see the NM10 spec for Desktop can take 4G but the netbook version is limited to 2G. Maybe the RAM slot itself can't take 4G.

thunderbolt, Mar 30, 2012
  8. delctrl

DouglasThurman

It's a limitation that Intel set when it created the Atom chips. Netbooks are limited to 2GB with Atom processors even the newer N2600's. Blame Intel. If the Atom chip is on a desktop MiniITX or such motherboard then it will support 4GB RAM.

DouglasThurman, Jun 2, 2012
  9. delctrl

cooldex

i got a 4gb ram and windows 7 ultimate x86 but when i put the 4gb ram inside only black srceen doesnt detect the 4gb ram so it doesnt work on x86 bit windows 7 ultimate dont know about the 64 bit

cooldex, Jul 28, 2012
  10. delctrl

Infti

My experience was similar. Acer Aspire One D257 running Windows 7x32 Home Premium. I installed a 4 gb memory module and got a blank screen. I have a similar Acer Aspire One --- a D270-1410 (the case is identical)--- and it does run 4 gb memory. So my guess is that the analysis in the earlier submission is more or less correct. I will now buy and install a 2 gb module. It actually runs decently with only 1 gb, so 2 gb should be fine. Especially since I paid only $75 for the Netbook!

Infti, Mar 18, 2017
Ask a Question