Aspire One D255E supporting 4gb ram??? Is this right?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by turajb, Apr 23, 2011.

1. turajb

turajb

I believe I found a discrepancy in the list for known good RAM for the Acer Aspire One D255E.
    And want to know if what I found was a mistake or not, before I order ram for my D255E-1428.

Here is what I'm seeing:

In this thread (viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4742), it says the following:

----------------------------------------------
    D255E
    Kingston KVR1066D3SO/2GR - newegg - eBay - Google
    ----------------------------------------------

When I click on the 'newegg' link, it points to a different brand of ram (Patriot) & different capacity (4gb).

From what I can tell, this link is incorrect, as I came across the following in my research:

-- The Kingston ram's listing was intended to match this post (viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4742&p=121811#p121811), which is related to the AOD255E-13446.
    -- However the 'newegg' link's URL appear to have come form the next post in that thread (viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4742&p=121811#p122264), which is related to the AOD522-BZ897.

Can anyone confirm this is a mistake & that the D255E-1428 (despite having the Atom N570 CPU) does not support 4gb ram.
    Any assistance on this matter would be great...

turajb, Apr 23, 2011
  2. turajb

Swarvey Moderator

Just fixed up the list, I accidentally melded those two posts together somehow. But it has been corrected now.

Swarvey, Apr 23, 2011
  3. turajb

turajb

Thank for adjusting the RAM list. However so to just to be 100% clear, since you only addressed half of the post:

With the adjustment you applied, you are confirming the D255E-1428 (despite having the Atom N570 CPU) cannot support 4gb ram.

Is that right?

turajb, Apr 26, 2011
  4. turajb

Swarvey Moderator

Unfortunately, all I can tell you is, as far as other users testing and reporting go, no one has yet tried a 4Gb chip in the D255E. Considering the similarities between the D255 and D255E, you might be get the 4Gb stick working. Otherwise as far as other reports go, you should be safe trying a 2Gb chip.

Swarvey, Apr 26, 2011
  5. turajb

turajb

Swarey - Thanks for the info.

In case it helps any, I purchased the 2gb DDR3 ram noted in the ram list for the D255E (the Kingston KVR1066D3SO/2GR) from newegg.
    I can say for certain the "Kingston KVR1066D3SO/2GR" ram is NOT compatible with the Acer Aspire D255E-1428.
    Maybe you can update the list to reflect this.

The original ram that came with the netbook was DDR3-1333.
    It was NOT DDR3-1066 (PC3 8500) as noted in the compatible ram list.

The new ram tested fine in another PC, so I know the new ram is good.
    Its just this particular notebook does not like it. The netbook book just hangs (blank screen) when it tries to get to the POST screen (cannot even get to the BIOS).
    When I pop in the original ram, everything starts up correctly.

I hope this helps others from having the same problem as me.

turajb, Apr 28, 2011
  6. turajb

turajb

Got on a chat with Acer's crack (more like crack-pot) tech staff. After much frustration & teeth pulling, I managed to talk with someone there who had a half of brain in their head.

In the end, I was informed that the Acer Aspire One D255E-1428 will only support DDR3-1333 so-dimm ram.
    Slower DDR3 ram is not supported & will cause the blank screen/non-boot situation I encountered.
    As such, that slower DDR3 Kingston ram I purchased will never work in this particular netbook model.

Additional 4gb is not possible with this netbook model, as it supposedly wired to only allow a max of 2gb stick per ram bank.
    Since only 1 ram bank is available, this would limit the netbook model to 2gb max.

I was also informed that a bios update should not be necessary to support to 2gb ram in this netbook.
    I was informed that the v3.13 bios that was factor installed supported this ram will support the upgraded ram.
    It is only necessary to upgrade the bios to the offered v3.14 or v3.15 revisions, if supporting newer on-board hardware.

I hope this helps....

turajb, Apr 28, 2011
  7. turajb

turajb

Since my last post, I have good news & bad news for those wishing to add ram to an Acer Aspire D255E-1428.

Good News: 2gb ram is supported.

Bad News: sometimes won't get to post screen.

Here is what transpired since my talk with Acer's staff:

I ordered the following ram from newegg.

Team 2GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660)
    Laptop Memory Model TSD32048M1333C9-E
    Item #: N82E16820313071

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820313071

They claimed it should work, but no guarantees. Well upon installation, it did work - sort of... I found this ram made the netbook's post start-up process a bit flaky. Half the time it will not boot at all, without any error core or beep or anything (just a blank screen & a spinning HD). I found that if I hold down the power button for a few seconds to force shutdown, wait 5-10 seconds & then boot it again, it would usually start-up just fine.

Since it passes every ram test/diagnostics i could throw at it after its up & it shows correctly in the 2 OS'es I use, I figure it might have had to do with the bios (since I've read in many places that acer aspire netbooks in general can be a bit picky & acer did say I may need to flash the bios to the new version). So I upgraded the bios from v3.13 to the new v3.15 release. However that did not appear to help any; but at least it did not hurt any either.

From there, I did some extra testing & research. From everything I can test/see, the ram is just fine & works correctly once the netbook gets past the post start-up screen. So from a stability point, when it boots properly, everything is rock solid on the netbook in both windows 7 & fedora linux, even after using it 3+ hours at a time.

And when i tried to swap back in the 1g DDR3-1333 ram which it came with netbook, everything returned back to normal & always passed the post screen, each & every time it was started. This leads me to believe there is still something quirky with the ram &/or netbook. Maybe a better quality ram of the same type/speed would have better results. However since what I have does work (eventually), and since its a pain to swap the ram in this netbook & I've gone trough buying ram twice just to get to this point, I'm willing to live with this boot quirk, since I know it will eventually boot after a few tries.

I just thought to share the final outcome, in case it helps anyone else in the same situation. Enjoy...

turajb, May 7, 2011
  8. turajb

Guest Guest

Take this however you want, but Acer told me that support for 1333MHz memory was hit and miss, and that the D255E would just underclock it to 1067MHz anyway.

When I told them my D255E came shipped with a 1333MHz Kingston module, they confirmed it was underclocked automatically, and the only reason they used it was because they already had a contract in place with Kingston for that module.

I was advised to buy PC8500 1067MHz because it would be cheaper and more reliable.

Guest, Mar 23, 2012
Ask a Question