Aspire One as a Router - Internet Connection Sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by champagj, Nov 4, 2008.

1. champagj

champagj

I have successfully made a net connection via my Blackberry with USB.

I now need to share this net connection to the eth0 port so i can connect an IP controller I use for demonstration.

I have found that firestarter has all I need to share the connection but also found out that the One does not have the Iptables modules necessary to make this work.

anybody can offer advice on either:\

- locate software and /or script just to achieve my simple sharing application (the IP controller on eth0 uses port 443 only).

- easy way to compile kernel with the missing module

I have never compile a kernel before but I'll give it a try if needed. Did I read somewhere I could possibly just need to compile the modules only and add them.? ( I believe it is how we get bluetooth working on the One?).

I guess all I need is the default kernel list for the One and add the iptables module?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

JF

champagj, Nov 4, 2008
  2. champagj

RockDoctor

Compiling a kernel (or kernel module) isn't that difficult. The problem you're going to face is that Linpus has created a custom kernel that uses some modules not present in the standard kernel (Jmicron card reader and aufs modules come to mind). If I were in your position, I'd try the following:
    1. Install a Fedora 8 kernel with a similar number (say kernel-2.6.23.1-42.fc8; others in the 2.6.23 series
    may be better for this purpose)
    2. copy all the necessary modules from the Fedora kernel's /lib/modules/2.6.23.1-42.fc8/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/
    to the corresponding directory under /lib/modules for the Linpus kernel
    3. Type
    Code:
     sudo /sbin/modprobe ip_tables
    4. hope it works

RockDoctor, Nov 12, 2008
  3. champagj

champagj

Thanks Rock Doctor!

That explain why my first two tries ended-up with a complete re-load...

Can I compile the Fedora kernel on the one, pick the modules and then remove it without messing-up the current config?

I know once I move the modules and do the modprobe...

As a side note the Kerel compile I did with iptables would boot, show the desktop and a soon as the network manager would be invoke the system would freeze. I guess there is no guarantee if I just move the modules?

I was also confuse as to which modules to select under netfilter... There has to be 100 entries you can select.. Any idea what I eed if Ijust want ICS ?

Thanks,

champagj, Nov 12, 2008
  4. champagj

champagj

RockDoctor,

I am having a hell of a time getting my head around the kernel compiling thing but I got as far as getting one compiled off the Linpus kernel with the iptables modules added, moved the .ko files as you said.

That's what I am getting on the modprobe.

[user@localhost ~]$ sudo /sbin/modprobe ip_tables
    WARNING: Error inserting x_tables (/lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/net/netfilter/x_tables.ko): Invalid module format
    FATAL: Error inserting ip_tables (/lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.ko): Invalid module format

should I try a different kernel? (I tried to get one going off an RPM but could not. So far only able to with tar..)

Thanks!

champagj, Nov 14, 2008
  5. champagj

Neva

I would have use for the iptables modules too, for sharing a 3G connection with AAO routing connections to it's internal WLAN as an access point for other devices.

Something along these lines:
    http://lindesk.com/2007/04/internet-con ... -iptables/

but the iptables kernel modules would have to be compiled first for the Linpus 2.6.23.9lw kernel..

Neva, Dec 26, 2009
  6. champagj

Helium

I think this is a very cool idea.

When travelling in japan, some hotels only have a cable connection, not wifi.
    It would be nice to be able to use the aspire one as a router/hot spot to connect an iPhone/iPad when you don't want to use the 3g cause it costs too much.
    Maybe it's something you could put on a usb stick and boot from, easier than dealing with Linpus.

Helium, Apr 14, 2010
  7. champagj

champagj

It is most likely possible to use a "live" version of Ubuntu or other full distro to do this.

I did manage to make this work a while back using UNR, but it was a full install.

champagj, Apr 18, 2010
  8. champagj

Jimux

Puppy works well with Skype.

Jimux, Apr 19, 2010
Ask a Question