Aspire One A110/150 fan control & bios issues

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by guybrush77, Sep 4, 2011.

1. guybrush77

guybrush77

Hello everyone! :) This is my first post here but I'm a long time reader and this forum has often helped me a lot. This time, I'm struggling with an old A110 and I haven't still found a solution to my problem though I've put together a lot of testing and reading here on the forum.
    The problem is this: the fan is very noisy and it's always on; I really can't bear it! This is a well known and documented issue and that isn't the issue itself, just the beginning. I've used AA1 Fan Control, AA1ctl and every tool I was able to find (the complete list is too long :( ). With ALL of them, the netbook shuts down after a variable (always quite short) period of time. It's clear that the system goes into protection. I've solved downgrading the bios step by step from 3310 to 3305 (3309 and 3308 didn't help). With 3305 on, everything was fine (at least this is what I've tought): the fan control with AA1ctl worked like a charm and the system was completely stable.
    I was happy but this lasted only till I've tried to charge my battery (that's completely fine, no issues at all with it). It didn't charge. I've made some research and I've found out that there is a battery charging issue (when the battery goes under a certain charge level it seems) solved with bios 3309. Now I face only two possible solutions (and neither of them satisfies me, not at all):

1) Keeping a fully working but very noisy netbook using 3310 without any fan control
    2) Keeping a fully working and silent netbook that doesn't charge the battery using 3305 and aa1ctl

I've made a lot of research around here and everywhere else and I've read a lot of posts and complete threads. I've also come along to some posts confirming what were my experiences:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19677&p=111169&hilit=a110+fan+control#p111169

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1888&hilit=a110+fan+control&start=410#p102407

As I don't believe to coincidences, It's clear that there at the Acer headquarters they have screwed up (or at least deeply changed) something that affects the fan control to solve the battery charging issue. Now I ask to myself (and to everyone out there): is it possible that there isn't anyone who has updated at least one of those tools (there are a lot of them around) to get it working on the newer bios versions???
    Some time ago I had another A110 3310 where I installed xubuntu that I completely tweaked following all the advices given here and on other forums. The fan control worked just fine with it, why isn't this possible under Windows XP SP3? This has become a challenge! Thanks to everyone for your advices! :)

guybrush77, Sep 4, 2011
  2. guybrush77

bigdoe1014

You only have the battery issues if you allow the battery charger level to fall below 10%. Can you install a better heat sink or use the heat sink mod for cooling and improve the over all system performance. I bought the heat sinks on ebay cheap. I would stay with the older bios.

bigdoe1014, Sep 8, 2011
  3. guybrush77

guybrush77

Hi and thanks for your reply but I don't agree with you. First of all I don't think that a netbook which battery can't be fully discharged could be considered a working netbook: let's say that I'm on battery and I'm finishing some important tasks, I can't certainly stop because I'm at 11% charge level. What happens if I go under 10%? Do I have to flash a newer firmware to charge the battery then go back to the older one? That's out of question too.
    For what concerns the modded heatsinks, there are some threads here and elsehwere where it's debated if they are a good idea or not. For sure, there are pros and cons anyway I don't think that the temperature is the issue because the temps are fine. I think that the fan monitoring tools could have some kind of conflict with the acpi presets in the newest bios versions and this can't be solved by an heatsink. It's a pity that someone hadn't patched at least one of those useful tools to make it work even with the latest bios versions, that's all I fear. That was done on Linux where everything works AS EXPECTED (nothing more than that) no matter what's the bios version on board and without the need for any modded heatsink.
    This is only my idea but I completely respect yours and I thank you again for your reply.

guybrush77, Sep 8, 2011
  4. guybrush77

guybrush77

Is it possible that this topic gathers such a low interest? I know that we're talking about a very old model but Acer sold a lot of these and I think that a finding a solution could still help a lot of people out there...

guybrush77, Sep 12, 2011
  5. guybrush77

nestone

I have an AOA-150 with a 6 cell battery. Here is what I have found. If I deeply discharge the battery and switch off the net book, the computer will not boot when I plug in the power module with the discharged battery. I don't think the power module is strong enough to both boot the computer and charge the deeply depleted battery at the same time. However, to get around the problem, I remove the battery first, boot the computer with the power module and then reattach the battery with the computer already booted. Works every time. It's not a big issue for me as I rarely deeply discharge the larger than original battery. Of course, if I don't need to use the net book while recharge the depleted battery, that is not an issue either. I'm of the opinion that my battery must be well more than 50% discharged for this to be any type of an problem. I also have flashed the most recent BIOS.
    Not sure that addresses your problem but I throw it out there.

nestone, Sep 13, 2011
Ask a Question