Aspire One 533 display problems

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Pixieman, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Pixieman

Pixieman

A few months ago my netbook screen decided to show black as red and there are strange effects of red blemishes on green backgrounds. I can sometimes get to a near perfect display by moving the screen (more open or more closed) but it doesn't last long and I end up with multi-colour stripes on a white background. It seems like a weak connection or is there something I don't know? It is some way out of any warranty cover. I am an elderly non technical guy so be gentle. Thanks.

Pixieman, Nov 10, 2014
  2. Pixieman

Nestone50

I'm guessing the cable from the motherboard to the LED screen is bad. It could also be a loose connection at either end. However, you will have to disassemble to find what is wrong. If you aren't comfortable in doing that, I'm not sure the cost over having it repaired would be worthwhile. An alternative would simply use a desktop monitor.

Nestone50, Nov 10, 2014
  3. Pixieman

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Because the ribbon cable between the Motherboard and the Screen flexes (bends) every time the lid is opened and closed, there is a chance that at some stage it will cause the ribbon cable to break at the 'bendy' bit... Assuming you have NOT opened up your computer yourself or had it repaired by some one else... it is more likely that the 'bendy' bit has fractured rather than a connector being disconnected... But it will pay to check that out first. !

If the ribbon cable has fractured... the cheapest solution is to buy a new display... Googling Amazon UK with NEW screen Acer Aspire 533 shows one at around £29 (add postage to that)

Googling acer aspire one 533 screen replacement should also give more choices to buy a new screen AND it should have a You Tube video of someone actually walking you through the replacement...

I never tried screen replacement on a Acer... Mine are Samsung, and quite easily done...

Try it and let us know how you got on please...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Nov 11, 2014
Ask a Question