ASPIRE ONE 522 RECOVERY HELP

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ultraman90, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ultraman90

ultraman90

I recently purchased a aspire one 522 from a private seller,the system was setup with windows 7 not sure if it was starter or ultimate but on startup the error message would pop up saying harddisk error backup or replace harddisk,I decided to format and partition then setup windows 7 again to see if it would fix the problem,i noticed that there was a partition that was set aside from oem and so i left that alone.
    After formatting i tried to access the recovery partition but there didn't seem to be an option there to recover the system and the seller didn't give me any other software with the netbook.
    I'm not an expert on these things, i need HELP ,what do i do now ??Do i need an original recovery cd to bring the system back to factory default?? :cry:

ultraman90, Mar 19, 2012
  2. ultraman90

nestone

The netbook would have come with Windows 7 Starter. If Ultimate was installed, it was done by the previous owner. On the bottom of the netbook there should be a Windows sticker listing the the "flavor" of your operating system which I suspect is Starter. You should write down the Windows 7 Starter product key. You can download the OS off the internet and make an image file burning to either a DVD to install via an external DVD player or to a USB flash drive. Upon installing the OS, you will be asked for the product code. Use the one that is on the sticker.
    You can find the download site from this previous post:
    viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32299

nestone, Mar 19, 2012
  3. ultraman90

ultraman90

I would like to say i big thanks to nestone for your reply to my problem.
    I got hold of a windows 7 iso and placed it on a usb stick,all went well with the install of windows 7 as there was a windows 7 COA on the system case .
    My other problem is that i downloaded all the drivers off the acer site but there are still conflicts, I've got the things like sound,graphics,touchpad and the ethernet working but no bluetooth and wifi.
    Is it because there are application software on the original Acer discs that enable these hardwares to work.??
    Any insight on this ??

ultraman90, Mar 19, 2012
  4. ultraman90

Swarvey Moderator

Just a quick question, didn't the alt+10 combination work at boot up to run the recovery program from the oem partition? This would reinstall Windows and all drivers required

Swarvey, Mar 19, 2012
  5. ultraman90

ultraman90

i tried the alt+10 combination and this is what came on the screen:-
    Edit windows boot options for :windows 7
    path: \windows\system32\winload.exe
    Partition: 2
    Hard Disk: de249de9
    [ /NOEXECUTE=OPTION]

i'm no expert but the partition with the backup does not work or the information is corrupted.

ultraman90, Mar 20, 2012
  6. ultraman90

ultraman90

just got a reply back for assistance from acer support uk:-

Thank you for contacting Acer UK. We apologize for the delay in responding to your e-mail.

We understand your concern and regret the inconvenience caused to you.

We would like to inform, you can purchase recovery CDs from us, which will cost you £51.06 because we do not provide recovery CDs with the computer. However we ship the computer with recovery partition pre installed on it, using which you can create recovery CDs and also perform recovery on the computer. If you are interested to purchase recovery CDs, we would log a case for recovery CDs and you would receive a recovery CD request form from us shortly. Once we receive the completed form, we will create and send the recovery CDs within next 14 business days. To place an order for recovery CDs we require the 25 digit Microsoft product key which is located at the bottom of the computer. You can make the payment by debit or credit card by contacting our billing department. In order to
    purchase the recovery discs for your computer, we kindly request you to contact our billing department on the phone number 0870 853 1110.

Forgive me for saying £51.06 BLOODY HELL!!! thought it was going to be about £20.00 tops!

ultraman90, Mar 20, 2012
  7. ultraman90

ultraman90

maybe i should pay the £51.06 and then make copies to sell on ebay for £20 each :lol:
    Acer support uk waste of time :x

ultraman90, Mar 20, 2012
    chris whitehead likes this.
  8. ultraman90

nestone

All the drivers you need are found here:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
    Just select "netbook" and then scroll in the next window to your model # 522. Note that this model has two different wi-fi cards and different bluetooth drivers. About a dozen drivers are listed in all. Make sure you scroll through them all and select the correct ones. For example, the 522 appears to have come with either a Broadcom or Atheros wi-fi card. You will need to check in Device Manager to know which one you have so you can download the correct driver.

nestone, Mar 20, 2012
  9. ultraman90

Swarvey Moderator

Made a mistake in my previous post (i usey Android phone for everything these days, autocorrect is a b**h lol) meant to say alt+f10 not alt+10. Sorry.
    +1 to the post above drivers are all available on the Acer website

Swarvey, Mar 20, 2012
  10. ultraman90

ultraman90

Turns out there are bad sectors on the hard drive so the recovery disk i got hold of had problem completing the setup.
    I changed to another hard drive and all went well untill the drivers setup and then i hit another brick wall again.
    From the acer site there are 4 bluetooth drivers, 2 Wlan Drivers?? so without opening the netbook up ,there is no way i can tell which bluetooth or wlan module i have? :?

ultraman90, Mar 26, 2012
  11. ultraman90

ultraman90

i opened up the netbook and found the wlan module ,it's a Atheros AR5B125.
    Theres no mention of it on the Acer site and only a few hits on the web so whats the score on this netbook,why is it such a pain in the rear end setting this up :x

ultraman90, Mar 26, 2012
  12. ultraman90

nestone

nestone, Mar 26, 2012
  13. ultraman90

ultraman90

I have tried the driver from the acer sites ,it's not the right driver for it,i suspect that the hardware was changed before i bought it, i've read somewhere that the module i have is a dual bluetooth/wlan card so thats probably why theres so many issues .As for the link you have to pay for the Upgrade of the RadarSync Software before it lets you download any of the drivers.

ultraman90, Mar 26, 2012
Ask a Question