Aspire one 120GB UK unboxing.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by electric0ant, Aug 13, 2008.

1. electric0ant

electric0ant

got my acer aspire one 129GB 512MB Linux delivered today.
    ordered from laptopsdirect.co.uk for £229.with £14 delivery, I know delivery was a bit hefty but since the original release date was over a month ago and dates keep beeing pushed back, i just got fed up of waiting.

thought I would put up some unboxing pics, since there doesn't seem to be much info on the 120Gb HDD version at the moment, and most people seem to have just the 8GB SSD.

click on the thumbnails for bigger pics.

sorry about the low quality, got it delivered to work address and only had phone on me to take pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A few things to note:
    Uk users will be happy with the full size UK enter key, unlike the eee which had the US version.
    slip case, is rather thin, it really is only to prevent scratches, its not like the eee pc one which is a neoprene material, and can protect from minor bumps.
    look @ the picture of the "buile" verison of BIOS :lol: typos...
    the hard drive is a Seagate ST9120817AS, SATA 3Gb/s 2.5" drive, pretty decent drive I would day.

I'm off now to get XP onto this.
    Glad I held out for the 120GB HDD version, pcworld in UK had the 8GB SSD version for over a month now, was so tempted to get it until I read the posts from other users with their experince of installing XP and that it turns out the read/write speed on the 8GB SSD was really poor.

electric0ant, Aug 13, 2008
  2. electric0ant

Sid

Thanks for posting the images, you obviously put a lot of time and effort into it.

Different subject

Firstly I declare a hatred of things M$.
    Can I ask why you want to run XP, is there some special requirement that you have?
    Why not invest some time in Linux, where you would have a faster more responsive OS, free software (not £££ or pirate)?
    I guess I will never understand why people want to suffer XP or Vista,
    NB just my opinion :)

Sid, Aug 13, 2008
  3. electric0ant

electric0ant

I'm just more used to XP,
    I have used ubuntu before but since I'll prob use the laptop sometimes for networking setup etc i'ld rather keep it with XP.

I'm not pirating, I have old XP licenses from dead computers which I am using.

electric0ant, Aug 13, 2008
  4. electric0ant

Sid

I respect the fact you have a choice.
    I wasn't stating that you were pirating, my point was general.
    One reason that some folk stay with M$ is that there is so much pirate software available.
    Ask Adobe how many stolen copies of Photoshop are out there, the cash value is not small potatoes.

Notice that I said at the end of my post it was just my opinion :)

Sid, Aug 13, 2008
  5. electric0ant

judeh101

I bought my copy of Photoshop and it is not cheap at all! its was like $1000 CAD! :lol:
    just saying, people rather choose Windows because they are use to it, not really pirating. :D

judeh101, Aug 14, 2008
  6. electric0ant

Sid

Sid, Aug 14, 2008
  7. electric0ant

judeh101

thats about it, hehe :lol:
    good grief! 60% users are pirate and I am not one of em.

judeh101, Aug 14, 2008
  8. electric0ant

gbee

I don't really understand why people choose to pay extra for XP or Vista unless they have a some Windows only application which is critical to them :shock:

I wouldn't say XP is worse than linux, although having to run all the anti-spyware, anti-virus and application level firewalls does tend to mean it runs slower or requires more memory. I can fully understand why someone already running XP on a machine might decide not to switch, but not why anyone pays more for a version with XP installed. Why they'd install it on a device like the One baffles me even more, why pay more to make it slower and less portable (moving a HDD while it's running is not recommended)? :?

I'm not even asking people to try and explain the decision because I doubt it would make any sense to me, guess it's just a matter of faith, you have to believe that you get something more for that extra £50-70.

gbee, Aug 14, 2008
  9. electric0ant

Payndz

Huh, I didn't get a slipcase with my UK One (512Mb Linpus). I've been done!

Not really a problem, though. For £220 I can take a few scratches...

Payndz, Aug 14, 2008
  10. electric0ant

runtime360

electric0ant thanks for posting the pictures. I also caved (hangs head in shame) and bought one from 'laptops direct' despite their somewhat bad reputation for customer service. Glad to report though that their fulfilment process works very smoothly and my white A150L 1GB 120HDD arrived this morning. Very pleased with it too, though admittedly I haven't had much time to play with it. My first impressions, although the the blue model looks great (and would have been my preference if truth be told), the white model seems to hold up much better than the blue model when it comes to picking up fingerprints etc., also looks much better up close than in photos. Fan noise is audible but not irritating and is about what you'd expect from a decent laptop.

runtime360, Aug 15, 2008
  11. electric0ant

lazy

i noticed you sleeve is different

i guess we got the gimped one because with this one, we cant use the sleeve with the 6 cell battery

on a side note, there's someone that bought a 6 cell version but got the same sleeve as mine so it couldnt be used
    [​IMG]

lazy, Aug 17, 2008
  12. electric0ant

Davidcowling

i might get a blue one from this site.

got a 1gb module and a bootable WIN XP USB fired up and ready to go.

just got to wait a bit longer for a blue one

Davidcowling, Aug 18, 2008
Ask a Question