Argh! Windows 10 is So Slow!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by MVLaHearse, Aug 3, 2016.

1. MVLaHearse

MVLaHearse

I'm not sure what else to do at this point so I'll reiterate what I've tried to make my computer faster or at least run normally. I've already disabled the task bar and start up apps that aren't necesssary. I ran a clean sweep and a security check. I toggled the background apps off. I uninstalled and deleted anything I didn't use and any duplicates. There's not a whole lot of files or programs though. Cookies and temp files are deleted as well. The malware check doesn't show any viruses or adware. It defrags automatically and it's been updated. Am I missing anything else I could do?

MVLaHearse, Aug 3, 2016
  2. MVLaHearse

something back

The steps you have taken should be sufficient, you have said at least run normally.

The only thing left is to do a fresh install or choose restore go to settings then update and
    security,then restore.

something back, Aug 3, 2016
  3. MVLaHearse

Corzhens

This is another thread against Windows 10, huh. It seems that Windows 10 have many issues to resolve. So probably they are now doing Windows 11 for that? How about booting without the internet connection?

The AVG anti-virus is automatically updating itself even if the setting is not in auto. When we boot with the internet on, everything goes in slow motion because the AVG update seems to be eating a big part of the memory. When the internet is disconnected, the booting is smooth. Have you tried it with Windows 10?

Corzhens, Aug 6, 2016
  4. MVLaHearse

IBMPC8088

All the spying and constant data collection that Windows 10 does (without your consent) is going to slow it down on systems that are slower, along with any bloatware it decides to attach to if you downgraded to 10 from Windows 7.

If you're not using Windows, it'll be harder to keep it running faster since the new open-door policy fthat Microsoft has through their TOS to spy on you, collect data, and change your system. They also keep tabs on the software you have installed and perpetually check them for keys (especially if they are Microsoft products), and will deactivate them if there's anything they don't like there. For those who downgraded to Windows 10, that's pretty much what they can expect and get now. Windows 8.1 is only partially less evil, but it might be faster on your system. Windows 7 is supported until 2020, so I don't see why people are using it at all between that, Linux, BSD, and even Mac OS X that will run over the PC now. You have other options available.

You usually need more powerful hardware to mask all of the background tasks Windows 10 is doing to spy on you that cannot be disabled through startup and services, and magically reappear even if you remove the entries for things from the registry. You can try to keep slimming it down, but I'd suggest using Windows 7 instead if you have to use Windows at all and Linux or BSD unix if you have another option.

Oh, and if you're on a laptop with a 5400rpm drive and using it on battery, make sure that you're not using it in power-save mode and are on max performance. The things Windows 10 does without your consent will be slightly less noticeable if it can do it faster that way.

If your system is running Norton or Mcafee in addition to Windows 10, then you have not one but two viruses on it already that are never detected but are running as programs. Some might think I am being sarcastic in saying that, but unfortunately I'm not, that's how it is. I'm not sure what you use for malware or antivirus protection on your system, but if it's either of those two...expect everything you do to be monitored multiple times in addition to Windows 10 and expect that to slow you down to half or quarter of your computer's potential speed no matter how many times you defrag files or try to clean the registry. I would just go to win7 on there, save what you need first, and then reinstall fresh without any of the junk on it.

IBMPC8088, Aug 6, 2016
    something back likes this.
  5. MVLaHearse

something back

I always love an admirer of Windows 10

Your post made me laugh.

I do use w10privacy to control it.

something back, Aug 6, 2016
  6. MVLaHearse

vinaya

I have not used Windows 10 thus I don't know about issues endemic to windows 10.I use Windows 7 and I have never felt necessity to upgrade. However, once I upgraded ti Windows 8 out of curiosity. Howver, I did not use it for long. My computer crashed and my C drive had to be formatted. Along with various programs, windows 8 was also removed. After that I am back to 7.

vinaya, Aug 6, 2016
  7. MVLaHearse

Fuzyon

Windows 10 will be the last Windows version, they'll just continue to upgrade it forever.
    The OS is definitely not slow for me, in fact it's quite snappy and responsive. Did you make sure you have the required hardware to run Windows 10? It doesn't run very well on old computers, you need at least 4GB of RAM and a decent processor to feel satisfied with the performance.

Fuzyon, Aug 6, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  8. MVLaHearse

Corzhens

I'm glad with what you said that Windows 10 will be the last. My first OS was the Windows 98 and it suited me just fine until the Windows XP came along which brought a little confusion in the office. But when Windows 7 was implemented as the official OS in our company, there's not much confusion. We are to purchase a new computer for home use, more likely a laptop, and we will make sure that it can conveniently run Windows 10.

PS. Our home desktop is 32-bit with 4GB of memory.

Corzhens, Aug 6, 2016
  9. MVLaHearse

Fuzyon

Should be good enough to run Windows 10 as long as your processor is decent, 4 GB is more than enough to not lag behind on 10. What computer are you thinking about? If you just want one that can run Windows 10 and browse the internet there should be cheap options on the market. Look at Dells.

Fuzyon, Aug 9, 2016
  10. MVLaHearse

SirJoe

The main reason windows 10 is so slow is because it's running a lot of things in the background. There are quit a few videos on YouTube that will help you switch these off and increase your privacy.

SirJoe, Aug 12, 2016
  11. MVLaHearse

Sefie

I am so glad I didn't upgraded to Windows 10, I feel that way every time I read this kind of comments online. It's good to know I did the right thing by avoiding that OS ;) I guessed this OS would be more cluttered than the other, but not to this extent...

Sefie, Aug 18, 2016
  12. MVLaHearse

Kavon

If you've upgraded from a previous version of Windows to Windows 10, there's the option of reverting back to the version you were using, before the upgrade. Windows 10 saves the location of the previous version, I think in a folder called "oldwindows" or something. But this is only possible for one month after the upgrade. After that, Windows 10 deletes the files of the previous version.

Kavon, Aug 21, 2016
  13. MVLaHearse

clair02

I am totally tech-challenged and most of the terminology that is used here, I have to look up first to understand what's being said. I know I'll get it soon enough, but it's really frustrating sometimes. I just bought a brand new HP laptop that came with Windows 10 and I have the same problem with the speed. Thanks for all the tips, I have a few things that I'm going to try now.

clair02, Sep 10, 2016
  14. MVLaHearse

Aree Wongwanlee

I am using Windows 10. It came pre-installed with my laptop. Is it slow? No, not at all. Maybe that's because I do daily housekeeping on my laptop. I would remove programs which I don't use anymore. I would delete files which I don't use anymore. Then I would run the defrag program to tidy things up. Oh, I also make sure that the swap file is twice the size of my RAM. Perhaps you can have a look at your swap file size.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 10, 2016
    something back likes this.
  15. MVLaHearse

AntonioCalcano

According to what I read from your post I believe the only thing left to do is a clean install, you've done everything there is to do and your problems seem to persist, then I would advise you to backup all your data very carefully and put start from scratch. Format your HDD, but start completely fresh, sometimes Windows leaves files behind so make sure to manually format your HDD first, then install Windows and let it update and you should be good to go.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 13, 2016
  16. MVLaHearse

Karen Gordon

I am so glad I didn't install Windows 10 when I had the opportunity to do it for free. Since my bandwidth is monitored and metered, I could easily use bandwidth I was planning to use. Although I am not a big fan of Windows 8.1 I am familiar with it at this point, and it's not a big bandwidth data sucker so I can live with it.

Karen Gordon, Sep 15, 2016
Ask a Question