Are Windows Surface devices really the new laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Fermin420, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Fermin420

Fermin420

I keep reading how Microsoft repeatedly claims that Surface devices are the desktop omputere replacement. There are many great things about this device even though, it seem to be just a tablet to me, is it even the replacement for laptop's? I think there's no replacement for desktop at the moment and those claims are just blown out of proportion but never really had the chance to get my hands on one of this devices. Are these things really that good?

Fermin420, Mar 22, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Fermin420

IBMPC8088

They are not that great. Not even close. They are basically just Microsoft hype packaged as tablets, and there is no way those things can even approach the usefulness of a decent netbook, let alone a laptop. They are dreaming if they think those things can replace a desktop.

You were right to call them on their advertising, because that's all Microsoft is trying to give people when they make that claim. In reality, the Microsoft Surface is not going to do that much more than any other device in its range.

IBMPC8088, Mar 23, 2016
  3. Fermin420

fcuco

I don't go as far as to say that the surfaces are the future of laptops themselves but the fact that we are moving away from more traditional laptops form factors and operating systems to more hybrid mobile / laptops solutions can't be denied.

In many ways the Surface was a pioneer product and design, so much so that for the first time ever Apple actually copied or got some ideas from Microsoft, the result being the iPad Pro. The merging of the tablet and the laptop started long ago, with many laptops having touch screens, then being convertible or 2 in 1 solutions, and so on.

I don't like this at all, usually when you have such hybrid products you end up with something that's not good as one product or the other.

fcuco, Mar 23, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. Fermin420

SirJoe

I don't think they are, but Microsoft has to make this claim in order to sell. Surface devices are nothing more nothing less then a tablet with a keyboard. They are too small to handle a powerful processor. They will meet the needs of a lot of people but I don't think for the great majority of computer users.

SirJoe, Mar 24, 2016
  5. Fermin420

CasualGoofy

I do feel they're still more like tablets with windows OS in them. Yet for some people, a surface device is more than enough. Not everyone needs a full featured laptop. For instance; email, writing notes, or reading news articles. Some people only do so little with their laptop. In fact, I knew someone that only surfs online and play solitaire on his device.

CasualGoofy, Mar 25, 2016
  6. Fermin420

SirJoe

For that person a surface device would be more then enough. People more often then not tend to buy more then what they need and end up not using any of the features. If people could outline what their needs were they could buy the right device for themselves.

SirJoe, Mar 28, 2016
  7. Fermin420

UpgradeMe

I would say no, personally. There is more to tablets and laptops than the relationship that microsoft has right now, but there's definitely an argument to be made about the cost vs. function of them, that's for sure.

UpgradeMe, Mar 28, 2016
  8. Fermin420

Fermin420

Just what thought. Sadly there's a huge amount of people that's going to buy these things expecting them to work as a desktop and at least like a laptop, because why not, right? if windows is saying it will, most people will believe it.

Fermin420, Mar 28, 2016
  9. Fermin420

IcyBC

They made it looks cool and sounds very good! I was on BingRewards and they gave me a free entry to win the Window Surface, so I entered hopping to win, which I never will, but I did it anyway. I was thinking if I won, I will have something new to play with, other than this, I wouldn't consider buying it at all.

IcyBC, Apr 3, 2016
  10. Fermin420

SirJoe

Well if they would give it away, I would be more then welcome to get one, but as you said I wouldn't be willing to part with my money for one. I think you really have to have very low computing needs to warrant getting one.

SirJoe, Apr 6, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  11. Fermin420

sharatharadhya

At the Current prices, Surface Pros can't take the place of what Laptops are capable of Doing. Surface Pro are not as productive nor as powerful as similarly priced Laptops. And Both Laptops and Tablets have seen a decline in sales making both of their futures questionable. With Mobile devices getting bigger nad better nothing can be decided as of now. I can surely assure you that Desktops are here to stay for extreme workloads which Laptops can not handle. Good LUCK.

sharatharadhya, May 17, 2016
  12. Fermin420

IBMPC8088

Ahahahahahahahahaha!! (catches breath) Hahahaha! Ahahahaha! (catches breath again) haha...oh...whew...that was a funny post! I hope you weren't serious. ;) Please tell me the OP is not serious? No, Windows surface devices are the new doorstop (I actually bought a broken one to use as a coaster for my coffee table I just set my drink down on to not spill it!). I got this one for $7 from someone who didn't want to return it, and I wanted to use it the only way it could be of value to me. It works great as a coaster and to set things on, but I wouldn't even use it as a tablet if it worked, and I find it funny to look at it as anything more. :D

IBMPC8088, May 18, 2016
Ask a Question