Are there any signs that...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by michaelrmgreen, Nov 24, 2008.

1. michaelrmgreen

michaelrmgreen

...Acer are working on a revised version of Lupus Linux? I'm out-of-the-loop on these developments since I moved to XP.

michaelrmgreen, Nov 24, 2008
  2. michaelrmgreen

flamingswrd

Nope...Since Acer only designs the computer, try checking on Linpus's website.

flamingswrd, Nov 25, 2008
  3. michaelrmgreen

michaelrmgreen

Aha, I had assumed that Acer had extensively modified Linpus Lite to work with the Aspire One hardware. The Linpus sight does seem to offer a more comprehensive 'Distro', which I'll try when/if I can get the AAO back off loved one. Here's the link for those interested:
    http://www.linpus.com/products_1.php

Meanwhile, anyone tried it yet? ...

michaelrmgreen, Nov 25, 2008
  4. michaelrmgreen

michaelrmgreen

... and of course what do I see three posts down?:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7290

Hmmm.... I'm still keen to hear from someone that has actually tried Linpus Lite.

5. michaelrmgreen

rpkemp

You are right, they did ... see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7290

Since Acer designed the computer to run not just a specific OS but a specific version of that OS, it should indeed be up to them to provide an upgrade path. Especially since the base OS (Fedora 8) is rather old. They have apparently not given this any thought ... leading me to conclude that they regard a machine at this price to be expendable, i.e. once the OS is too out of date to be any use, ditch the whole machine and buy a new one. Overly cynical on my part, perhaps, but Acer really ought to get its act together on this.

rpkemp, Nov 25, 2008
  6. michaelrmgreen

michaelrmgreen

And in the few minutes since the post by flamingswrd I have being looking at the Linpus site. Blimey, you don't often see sites as broken as that these days. Ooh, I come over all Ron Moody 'I think I'd better think it out again'.

7. michaelrmgreen

rpkemp

I don't think Linpus is a serious distribution. Like David Frost, it rose without trace. I can recommend Mandriva - my distribution of choice anyway, but according to what seems to be informed opinion (and my own experience supports this) the distribution that fits the Aspire One most comfortably with little or no tweaking.

Since we're on the subject of a particular musical, Linpus is a distribution that responds to reasonable requests by saying, on a rising tone, 'More .... ?!!?'. Mandriva is Mr Brownlow.

rpkemp, Nov 25, 2008
  8. michaelrmgreen

flamingswrd

At any rate, we can all be happier when someone gets a proper distro on the One. Linpus wasn't the best idea (an option to at least get to a regular desktop would have been a huge advantage), but its livable...and I am willing to bet Acer is planning a new "lineup" release, so they could care less about this one.

Oh, and I could have told you that the Linpus site had some problems. How do you think I knew it was a separate company?

flamingswrd, Nov 27, 2008
Ask a Question