Are there alternatives to eboostr for using SD card?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by fbx, Dec 9, 2008.

1. fbx

fbx

I have 1 GB of ram in the AAO and would like to use eboostr and an SDHC card in the left-slide SD card slot to increase effective ram. Is this reasonable and effective, generally speaking?

What programs (if any) besides eboostr let you use SD card this way with XP?

fbx, Dec 9, 2008
  2. fbx

tdavie

I ran eboostr on my AAO 1gb/160 gb hdd WinXP and found absolutely zero difference in performance/speed/responsiveness.

And these are the programsd I am commonly using;

-FireFox
    -Alt.Binz (binary newsgroup downloader)
    -Azureus (bittorrent)
    -VLC (video and audio)
    -Nero Burning Rom
    -AVG Antivirus
    -Malwarebytes Antimalware
    -Civilization 3 Conquests

Plus a few others. I used a 2gb class 6 sd card. So I've stopped using eboostr, and instead am just using the left hand card slot as a way to transfer files to and from a machine that can't handle SDHC cards.

Tom

tdavie, Dec 9, 2008
  3. fbx

fbx

Retried. Mine now says as follows. Didn't feel that fast.

[​IMG]

fbx, Dec 10, 2008
  4. fbx

docterry

I went the route of moving (most of) the pagefile to the SDHC card. I don't have any benchmarks, but it definitely feels snappier when switching between applications, between tabs on Firefox, caching YouTube videos, etc. Don't know if eBoostr would be any faster than this, but somehow during my research of the application I got cold feet.

I'm happy with this solution. I have a 4gb Sandisk Ultra II SDHC with ~2gb set aside for the page file (i have 50meg on the HDD as an emergency "backup"). The card is formatted NTFS and I'm using the Hitachi driver to make it appear as a fixed drive to Windows (seems to be the only way to make it work). Still have 2gb on the card to use as storage, though still haven't figured out what to store on it.

docterry, Dec 16, 2008
Ask a Question