Are laptop built-in webcams any good?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OursIsTheFury, May 10, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

Many of them aren't great. Though wiping the lens off and using the right software with your cam can make a world of difference.

nytegeek, Jul 5, 2016
  2. OursIsTheFury

Fuzyon

The webcam on my Acer Aspire V15 Nitro is pretty decent although when I wear glasses it reflects a lot of light on them, people can barely see my face then. The image is also laggy from time to time but that is probably due to the software, I haven't looked too much into it.

Fuzyon, Jul 19, 2016
  3. OursIsTheFury

Calin

It obviously depends on the model. If you're looking for something to use in a work environment, then chances are that laptop won't focus on this particular feature. Search for some reviews of the particular laptop you are interested in online, and make sure the image (and microphone, which I find to be more important) quality is satisfactory. You might want to look for 1080p recording, but 720p ought to be just enough, again, it depends on what you find sufficient.
    Unfortunately, built-in cameras and microphones are just ticked off the list in most laptops, instead of becoming valuable features, with a few exeptions (the new Razer Blade particularly excelles in both of these areas, but I don't think that's in your target range for work).

Calin, Jul 19, 2016
  4. OursIsTheFury

JoshSmith100

Most laptop webcams nowadays are pretty good but you of course are better suited to go out and buy a quality webcam off amazon or something. A few years ago I used to own a ASUS laptop though and the webcam would record everything upside down lol. Apparently this was a common problem with ASUS laptops.

JoshSmith100, Jul 28, 2016
  5. OursIsTheFury

rz3300

Well I have never had any issues with mine, but then again I am not using it for anything close to professional reasons. The one compliant that I hear about them has nothing to do with the quality, but rather the fact that it is always there facing you, so if someone were able to hack in there they could see you all the time. That freaks people out, and the last thing they are worried about is quality. Mine is fine for me though, but if not you can certainly buy a separate one.

rz3300, Jul 28, 2016
  6. OursIsTheFury

acerme2

My laptop's built-in web cam has so far served my purpose well. I would hate to buy an external web cam because that's another accessory to install and take care of. Instead, If I need to record a special video or something else, I'd use my smartphone or high resolution digicam video to record and save it later on my laptop for use or editing.

acerme2, Aug 6, 2016
  7. OursIsTheFury

Elektron

Well, I really think that if you're looking for some high-quality video camera you shall actually go ahead and buy yourself a normal camera or a new generation webcam. Most built-in cameras are from low to mid quality when talking about video and image, if you're just looking to use it for chatting and some Omegle then they're good enough, but if you're just looking for a camera you could use to record yourself and make gameplays or whatever might need good quality, I definitely recommend you to buy an external camera to make it easier and better for you, that's my opinion though.

Elektron, Aug 6, 2016
  8. OursIsTheFury

SirJoe

I think the great majority out there aren't very good, maybe the ones in top range computers might be. I think that if you use it often it's preferable to buy one then use the one on your laptop.

SirJoe, Aug 21, 2016
  9. OursIsTheFury

Aree Wongwanlee

It depends on what you want to do with your webcam. If it's just casual video calling, then the built-in webcam should suffice. Unless it's a VGA webcam. A VGA webcam, in my opinion, is totally hopeless. The picture you get is so bad that you might as well not have it at all. If you are adding an external webcam, I think Logitech has a very good high-end model. I haven't tried it yet but I am saving up for it. It also has stereo microphones.

Aree Wongwanlee, Aug 22, 2016
  10. OursIsTheFury

hades_leae

Mines is trash all the way. I don't use it, I remember when I first got my laptop, I went outside and tried to take pictures in broad daylight, and even in my house with all the lights on. It showed the ugliest picture of me, "don't comment and say it's probably that I'm ugly: so not funny".

The image just looked so cloudy, and filled with static every time I used it.

hades_leae, Aug 22, 2016
  11. OursIsTheFury

abonnen

I use my webcam on my laptop for my youtube reviews I do where I am showing products, the quality is not bad but not the greatest, also mine mirrors the wording on anything. It also depends on your computer and age. I find mine works well but like I said the quality is okay but not great, the best thing to do is to try on out and see if it will work.

abonnen, Sep 1, 2016
  12. OursIsTheFury

vinaya

My laptop has an inbuilt web cam, but I don't use it much because I don't do voice chat or voice call through my laptop. I have used other kinds of web cams and I was not very happy with the output.

vinaya, Sep 2, 2016
  13. OursIsTheFury

HappyKoi

I think it depends on what you want to do and the quality. I have had no problems with my built-in one whatsoever. It works for Skype, Facebook messenger, and things like that. It really comes down to the idea that you get what you pay for, so if you're doing things that need a better quality camera, you may very well need to spend some money.

HappyKoi, Sep 5, 2016
  14. OursIsTheFury

Aree Wongwanlee

If you are doing videotaping, you definitely need an external camera. The built-in webcams were never meant for serious videotaping. I think many smartphones have better cameras than the ones that come with laptops. Of course, smartphones are used for videotaping very much more often than laptops.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 5, 2016
  15. OursIsTheFury

rz3300

For things like this I would say that most of the built in webcams are just fine. Like the user said though, you just need to try it out and see if it works for what you are trying to use it for, and I am betting that you will be fine. I know that the quality of mine is pretty suspect, but if all I am trying to do is simple little videos than I am fine with that. Good stuff, and thanks for sharing.

rz3300, Sep 5, 2016
  16. OursIsTheFury

janemariesayed

I absolutely love my pc camera. I have been able to chat with my family in another country on skype and take instant photos of myself too. I have even taken pictures of my puppy's dad as he was watching them when they were first born. I wish my desktop had a built in camera too. The laptop camera is a really good idea if you are out and about, all you have to do is turn the pc around to face what you want a pic of and hey presto.

janemariesayed, Sep 8, 2016
Ask a Question