Are laptop built-in webcams any good?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OursIsTheFury, May 10, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury

I need a good quality webcam for work, and I was wondering if the laptops are good enough to be able to match the external ones from the stores. Are they any good, or should I purchase an additional high quality webcam to complement the one the laptop already has, so I can choose which one is the better one? What do you guys think? Should I buy a new one or should I just stick with it and see how far it can take me?

OursIsTheFury, May 10, 2016
  2. OursIsTheFury

Yillbs

many of the higher end ones will suffice. Anything with 2MP or higher should be able to render a nice 760 / 1080 res image.

Yillbs, May 10, 2016
  3. OursIsTheFury

comfyNEET

Typically no they are not of what I would consider "good" quality, but they definitely do suffice for casual video chats and recordings. Most of them, as Yillbs pointed out, are technically high definition. Honestly the biggest thing you want to do to make sure you're getting the fullest potential out of an integrated webcam is to be in a room with good, preferably natural, lighting. These integrated cameras tend to become very grainy and pixelated easily without significant lighting.

If you are in need of high quality though, external webcams are almost all HD these days and extremely cheap. If quality isn't that big of a deal and you just need some sort of working video, then I'd stick with the integrated webcam. Beyond that though, I would spend a bit to get a better, external webcam. It's worth it in my opinion. I would personally recommend any of the Logitech or Microsoft webcams. They range anywhere from $15-20 all the way to $200+.

comfyNEET, May 11, 2016
  4. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

They aren't terrible but not all that great either. They are usually just VGA cams. If you want better quality just buy an actual webcam with good stats. Just remember that megapixels aren't as important as some would have you believe.

nytegeek, May 11, 2016
  5. OursIsTheFury

Sefie

It depends, but generally the built n web cams are never as clear and nice as the ones you can buy separately. I actually have one, it's very clear and has a much better color, but I rarely use it (the builtin is more practical). If you work at home and a web cam plays an important role on that, then yeah, it's recommended you buy one separately.

Sefie, May 12, 2016
  6. OursIsTheFury

Sealpikachu

I have always used my built in, even for interviews, and it works just might not be very fancy but for a klutz like me, an external webcam just isn't smart. It depends on how much you are going to use it and what for. Unless you are going to use it for something like making youtube videos, I'd recommend not spending.

Sealpikachu, May 12, 2016
  7. OursIsTheFury

sparkster

Well, I have a brand new laptop with an integrated HD camera which also records video at 720p but guess what? The quality when using it appears to be very poor and akin to a VGA camera even when it's on the highest quality setting which I find quite strange. So, in my experience, a 2MP external camera is better than a 5MP internal camera. Work that one out!

sparkster, May 12, 2016
  8. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

The megapixels aren't the most important stat, so not hard to work out. They are used in advertising a lot because it gets people to buy. The image sensor size is why more important, but you will find most merchants don't even know about that and the ones that do remain quiet.

nytegeek, May 12, 2016
  9. OursIsTheFury

Corzhens

Call me lazy but I would also go for the built-in not only to save on cost but to save me from the nuances of installing and testing. The built-in is already working and an external webcam needs to be installed. Besides, a webcam of any kind is good enough for the images unless you have some other purpose like making videos with the webcam.

Corzhens, May 14, 2016
  10. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

Truth be told, a built in will work for the average YouTube video as well. It isn't amazing quality, but it is functional enough to get the job done.

nytegeek, May 14, 2016
  11. OursIsTheFury

Lisa Davis

The one that came with my Dell works fine. I don't seem to have a problem with it and I use it quite often. I think my internet speed really matters the most when it come to getting a good picture. I had to find the most flattering angle to keep my screen at and as long as I have plenty of lighting, it is pretty good resolution.

Lisa Davis, May 15, 2016
  12. OursIsTheFury

Sealpikachu

That's exactly what I think too. Mostly, if it's not broken, why fix it. My webcam works just fine for all the stuff I use it for and it seems pointless to replace it. On the other hand, I have an actual camera so if I ever wanted to make videos I would probably use that.

Sealpikachu, May 17, 2016
  13. OursIsTheFury

Corzhens

To be honest, I have never used the webcam except in one occasion - when my father-in-law was on his deathbed in a hospital in North Carolina (we are in the Philippines). We used skype to communicate with my sister-in-law and the webcam is to show us how their father was coping.

We also have 2 digital cameras here that we use to take videos.

Corzhens, May 17, 2016
  14. OursIsTheFury

obliviousme

Personally, my laptop's built-in webcam is simply horrible. It's really bad so it's either i endure the bad quality video sessions or get purchase my own webcam. I chose the latter, it's not high end webcam per se, the price is reasonable but It's clear enough and definitely an upgrade from the built-in camera.

obliviousme, May 18, 2016
  15. OursIsTheFury

Sealpikachu

I think this is the case for most people. If you barely use your webcam, there is no need to replace it and, if you constantly need to use one, it would be better to invest in an actual camera instead. I think webcams in laptops and desktops are already as good as they need to be for the use they will get.

Sealpikachu, May 24, 2016
  16. OursIsTheFury

acheno84

I rarely use my webcam unless I'm setting the motion cam up (not for anything wild; my wife sleep walks and I am getting info for her doctor). It's not the best quality, but it works. If you are looking for something with professional quality, I would definitely suggest that you get one that just clips onto your screen. Logitech's have always been pretty reliable if you are looking to save some money but get good quality. They can be picked up at affordable prices at your local electronics store, or Walmart if you have one nearby.

acheno84, May 25, 2016
  17. OursIsTheFury

filmjunkie08

I own a Gateway laptop (which had proven to be a sturdy one). I be frank, I have never used the webcam in the five years I have owned my laptop. I thought I would have need or the opportunity to use it. I felt so tech when I was given a computer that had one. Sadly, no go.

filmjunkie08, May 27, 2016
  18. OursIsTheFury

Vash

Usually the laptop frontal web camera is only 2.0MP. It is not that great, definitely lower level than the stand alone web cameras, but they will still manage things like Skype video call, etc. just at lower image quality. If you are not too picky, it makes no difference... although buying a stand alone web camera is quite cheap too. I actually bought my first web camera back in 1999 or 2000. It was when no computer had its own built-in webcam, and it was terrible... couldn't pick out the different colors on my Christmas tree. Got a new one after a few years, much better image quality and could actually show the different colored lights nicely. So far all the latest built-in webcams are still no match for the second webcam I bought.

If money is not an issue, and you absolutely need the best web camera, then go for it. :) One good thing about buying a separated webcam is that you can continue to use it even after you have bought new computers. So the investment is not just for the a few years of your laptop's lifetime, but rather for as long as the webcam is still functional.

Vash, Jun 1, 2016
  19. OursIsTheFury

cecejailer

Mine is terrible for a $1400 laptop, but I think high end machines will have a better camera, obviously. It only depends on your necessity, but I think you should keep in mind that this is not a priority with any PC/laptop brands, as webcam is still mostly used for video chatting (which doesn't actually require 1080p quality...)

cecejailer, Jul 4, 2016
  20. OursIsTheFury

HyperActive

I don't believe they are, although the one on my Mac is pretty decent. I would purchase a Logitech webcam, they are portable and not very expensive. They have also proven to provide high quality image and are very liked according to most reviews.

HyperActive, Jul 5, 2016
Ask a Question