Are gaming laptop safe?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by CyrusT, Dec 17, 2020.

1. CyrusT

CyrusT

I do not blame Intel or Nvidia in anyway because this is a manufacturer issue building a product around parts. I believe in the quest for performance safety has been left behind and I propose the question are gaming laptops safe?

Some years back I bought a gaming laptop with an 6th gen I 7 and a 960m, and I felt is was time to move on; I bought a 9th gen I 7 with a 1660 video card. I got the system and wow has there been changes of coarse there was the improved performance but then there was what I was not expecting. Shame on me for not researching more about the product, after all most comments about them are HOT and LOUD. Some might think that those descriptions are open to ones opinion and to an extent it is. However after doing some research I have found that this particular laptop met or exceeded some safety guidelines. I am also learning that laptops probably are not UL listed. Then in my experience the laptop manufacturer can not or will not produce a safety data sheet, you would think they should after all a laptop is not a component but it is a consumer product and it should meet certain safety standards. While the heat will not damage the hardware they will not admit the possibility that the laptop can burn the user. So, it seems if you are not injured they do not care.

Why am I proposing they are unsafe?

My particular laptop produces large volumes of hot air. I could have measured a higher temperature but I stopped at 106. Temperatures of 111 will cause burns and here is a safety guide line. "In fact, one gets very uncomfortable and minimally functional at temperatures higher than 105°F (40.5°C). Various governmental bodies such as the US Labor Department’s OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) and Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) also stipulate limits on safe working / operating temperatures. https://www.electronics-cooling.com/2016/09/surface-temperatures-of-electronics-products-appliances-vs-wearables/"

Then, there is the noise. A common noise guideline is " the limit of safety before hearing loss is 70 decibels, reports the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency." My laptop is easily 80db plus.

Since the laptop manufacturer has not produced any product safety data sheets, I was left to research what are safe limits. Anyway I am putting this out there because unless more people are aware and request a product that is safe and gratifying to use it seems we will still get more of the same.

If anyone really cares I bought a Gigabyte Aorus. If anyone else will share what their systems produce it could help someone like myself that will be looking for a laptop that can not be also used as a bed warmer, hair dryer, or air fryer.

CyrusT, Dec 17, 2020
  2. CyrusT

Shweta Singh

Gaming laptops are a good choice for work and school because they have powerful hardware to run demanding office-tasks and apps without any slowdowns or freezes. But if portability and battery life is a concern, you might want to settle for a mid-range laptop. If you literally only game on your laptop, then yes a gaming laptop would be perfect for everyday use. If you need a combination of good CPU+GPU performance on the go, it could also be a good option.

Shweta Singh, Nov 9, 2021
Ask a Question