Are android phones the most popular type?

Discussion in 'Android' started by OursIsTheFury, May 9, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury

What do you guys think? Are android phones the most dominant type of phone in the market right now? I mean, I think the majority of the population have them, as phones made by Apple would be too expensive for common people to use. What do you guys think? It seems that since they are cheaper, they are more affordable for the general public, and that's why they are more popular. What do you guys think?

OursIsTheFury, May 9, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. OursIsTheFury

Sefie

Yeah, they are definitely way cheaper than iPhone. That is why almost everyone can have an android, and iPhone is seen as a symbol of status. I felt a bit self-conscious when I first found out, but now I don't :) I love my Moto G!

Sefie, May 10, 2016
  3. OursIsTheFury

Yillbs

That didn't seem like you gave anything more than an opinion.

Apple sold about 190~ million iphones in 2015.
    Android ( combined ), sold about 300~ million

It's much harder to get accurate numbers for android, vs Apple, because apple is a company, with one item, whereas android is an operating system across multiple companies. However, when you take into account the number of IPHONES sold , versus, say, the GAlaxy s5, the iphone is well ahead, same goes for just about any other single android phone.

So, you should be comparing IOS, not apple, they are two different things. This is actually how the media portrays things like Trump in the news. Trump had 15 other people taking votes, so his numbers were lower, whereas this wasn't the case for the dem's. You want stats on 20+ phones, and then compare those phones to the Iphone. Very bad comparison!

Yillbs, May 10, 2016
  4. OursIsTheFury

Corzhens

The advantage of android phone is the price. There is a wide variety of android phones to choose from - the classy Samsung, Sony down to the cheap lines that are made from China. With iOS, there's only the iPhone that carry that operating system. And an iPhone is very expensive, more than double the cost of a good Samsung model. So I'd say that the popularity of android phones is mainly due to the lower cost for the user.

Corzhens, May 10, 2016
  5. OursIsTheFury

sparkster

I think Apple probably have a larger overall market share at the moment, at least they did the last time I checked, but I do also think that Android is taking over. As mentioned above, Android is an operating system catered for by many manufacturers whereas with iOS you have to use an iPhone, so Android doesn't trap you in that way. The Android operating system is also way more customizable than iOS and doesn't require being jailbroken to access certain functions, although they can be rooted.

sparkster, May 14, 2016
  6. OursIsTheFury

Yillbs

He specifically asked which was more popular. Not why one was more popular over the other. Additioanlly, I think it's important you back up the statement " android is more popular " with acts, not guesstimates. The information ins't useful if it's fake.

Yillbs, May 15, 2016
  7. OursIsTheFury

Yillbs

Did you read the thread before posting ? I already gave factual information that the Iphone did not have the overall market share. How can you think the Iphone does, when facts show it doesn't ? I don't understand. Are you going by facts, or does " I dont' think " literally mean you just guessed ?

Yillbs, May 15, 2016
  8. OursIsTheFury

rz3300

Well I am not aware of any statistics or anything like that but everywhere I look I tend to see iPhones so I would have to guess that they are second behind Apple in number of products sold. I very well could be wrong though, it certainly would not be the first time that that is the case. I personally own an Android phone and happen to prefer them as well, so I am hoping that I am incorrect, but that is still my guess.

rz3300, May 16, 2016
  9. OursIsTheFury

sparkster

Are you going to post anything useful or constructive? Or are you just going to nitpick at the trivial details of other people's comments? Do you have nothing better to do or comment about? And where exactly, in my post, did I even say the words "I don't think" as you portray? I was actually, as I suggested in the post if you have bothered to read it properly, was going on the factual information "last time I checked". I think somebody needs to do a bit of self-reflection before going round criticizing others for what they are guilty of doing themselves (projection).

sparkster, May 16, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  10. OursIsTheFury

IcyBC

Whew..I was hesitated posting in this thread after reading his/her attacking comments on everyone! It sounded like he/she wants to be the absolute RIGHTEOUS one, and no one can share their opinion or view, differently.

Now, with that said, I think Android is more popular since it is still more affordable than Apple for the majority of people.

IcyBC, May 16, 2016
  11. OursIsTheFury

IBMPC8088

Android will always have the advantage of being cheap or free compared to the more proprietary and higher priced Apple devices, thus making them more popular to everyone from developing countries to already technologically matured ones. Before Apple was doing the devices like they are today, they were "Apple Computer" instead of just "Apple". They dropped the word "computer" from the title of their name to make them more appealing to streaming services and other markets they would get into later, but even without Steve Jobs or Wozniack at the helm, they are still making the same mistakes.

Originally Apple, not IBM, had a chance at the consumer market. They already started cornering the market, but they overpriced what they had, and thought that IBM getting into the mainstream personal computer market was not a threat to them or could even happen. What happened next? IBM PC overtook Apple production, and became the most popular and preferred system. How? They didn't lock people into using Apple-only things, they let other companies develop for and release their own software without constraints, they didn't have an outrageously high pricing point, and they made it flexible to where hobbyists and other people could use it without limitations or licenses that Apple required or even blocked others from being able to have unless they went through them.

Today, it isn't IBM who is doing this and winning at it...but Google, who has taken their place with that and doing it with the Android mobile market. Gradually, despite having a strong grip on the mobile market since the early 2000's, Apple, their stocks, and their marketshare are now slipping to where everyone from Chinese and European investors to American billionaires are pulling out and selling off all their stocks.

Apple is making the same mistake they made before with the desktop computer market, only this time they are making it with the mobile one. As a result, their profit and their entire company status will lose out because of it under Tim Cook now, unless they are able to come up with a spectacular way to bounce back from it...OR...they are able to make themselves as enticing and unrestricted as Android became through Google to compete with them on level ground again.

Apple does have a huge market still and it isn't going anywhere or away just yet, but if they're not careful, the popularity of Android may be ahead even more than it is today and leave Apple out in the dust at the end.

IBMPC8088, May 16, 2016
  12. OursIsTheFury

Kavon

In terms of market share, among the phones that are being sold, Android phones are way more popular. The number of Android phones sold are like 5 times more than iPhones. There are many reasons for this. One of them is the price. Android phones are more affordable by more people. Another reason is the customizability of Android devices. People who are choosing iPhones are doing so I think mostly because of Apple's brand value.

Kavon, Aug 21, 2016
  13. OursIsTheFury

vinaya

I think Android phones are the most popular phones. There are many options available from Samsung to Sony, HTC, Panasonic and many Indian and Chinese brands if you want to get an Android phone. Android phones are cheap and user friendly.

vinaya, Sep 5, 2016
  14. OursIsTheFury

Karen Gordon

Yes, I think that Android phones are probably the most popular. They are most affordable as far as I am concerned. Most people who want a reliable and affordable phone go with Android. I think it is just one of the phone systems that people use. I like them as I am of the opinion that iphones are over priced. I have always had Android phones.

Karen Gordon, Sep 5, 2016
  15. OursIsTheFury

Karen Gordon

I would agree that Android phones are readily available. I think that they work as well as iphones and are generally quite affordable. I think that these are the options that you need to investigate if you need a phone in my opinion. As Vinaya pointed out, there are many varieties with many manufacturers so you can find what you need in phones.

Karen Gordon, Sep 5, 2016
  16. OursIsTheFury

remnant

As far as where I come from in East Africa, the Android operating system is most popular. Its possible to access numerous apps which is where most people go on average especially when it comes to online earning opportunities. Apple is a trusted and reliable brand here and the Android OS as cheap and accessible as it comes.

remnant, Sep 21, 2016
  17. OursIsTheFury

Aree Wongwanlee

It depends on where you are. If I go and look around the shops in the mall, then I would say Android phones are the ones which are selling well. The number of shops selling Android phones outnumber the shops selling iPhones by something like ten to one. However, at the nursing college where I used to teach, the number of students using iPhones is very large. They outnumber Android users like ten to one.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 23, 2016
  18. OursIsTheFury

AntonioCalcano

Yes Android phones are the most popular because they're open source and any brand can jump right in and start making phones running this OS, which is very different to apple for example where you need to be apple or you're screwed. Android is the future and it's very unlikely other OS will take its place.

AntonioCalcano, Oct 14, 2016
  19. OursIsTheFury

hades_leae

I like Android, but I'm really tired of it as well because Google owns it, I hate google, and rather have some other company manage it. I don't like all of the integration with everything on the phone, tablet or whatever else it's connected with one the phone. I only know of Apple and Android, and Blackberry, but blackberry has the coolest smartphone that I wanted from the company, but they decided to put Android on it.

hades_leae, Oct 15, 2016
  20. OursIsTheFury

ajaymehra

Yes, It is true and we all agree with that because Android phones are much cheaper then Apple's iPhones and Android phone are easy to afford and we can get it from everywhere and it's even true that Android is much used than Apple's IOS but it's also true that Android cannot be more secure then Apple's IOS.

ajaymehra, Apr 19, 2019
Ask a Question