Applying veneers?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by pirateofthesouth, Mar 16, 2009.

1. pirateofthesouth

pirateofthesouth

Hey guys!

I've been trying to decide what kind of customization I could do to the case of my new Acer.

Skins are nice, but I'm afraid that what I'm expecting the finished product to be will be different than what I'll get. Also, a lack of choices in the wood-look realm.

Painting would be nice, but considering it was nerve-racking enough to upgrade the RAM in this thing, I'm afraid I just can't bring myself to crack open the case again. Also, voiding the warranty, yadda yadda.

So now I've come to veneers, one choice is carbon fiber vinyl (the stuff car nuts use for dash mods) such as this Ebay Store I have found.

Another choice I've been looking into is wood paper veneers, such as this Instructable. From what I can tell, in the previous link, he is using a thicker wood veneer, not a paper veneer. Also, using a laser cutter is not an option for me.

Does anyone have any experience with these products? How hard is it to get the wood veneers to 'stretch' over the bulging corners of the case? Let me know what you think.

pirateofthesouth, Mar 16, 2009
Ask a Question