application to reset admin account?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by biomedtech, Sep 9, 2009.

1. biomedtech

biomedtech

I was attempting to assist an old lady, setting herself as the Administrator. As we went over the creation of her account 7 times, she still managed to either forget her password, or typed it in wrong. Since there was no other account to log in to, we are now up a creek without a paddle. I've tried several variations of what she claims is her password, but so far no luck.

I wanted to access the bios, but that is password-protected as well. She thinks one of her grandkids may have done this, but they are not available to ask.

Am I totally screwed? This Aspire One is the 8.9 inch sapphire blue, that came with XP SP3. No one knows where the CD is, so now I must either figure out the password, or try to re-install XP. I have an early OEM disc with XP SP2, but I don't know if the COA on the bottom of this machine will activate that.

Once a long time ago, I used a password reset utility on a rarely used laptop, but I think it required being able to get into the bios. Is there any utility to do that in XP? Thank you.

biomedtech, Sep 9, 2009
  2. biomedtech

Forone

Forone, Sep 9, 2009
  3. biomedtech

ecmasonjr

I've used a Linux based utility called ECBD in the past to reset the Windows password, it used to be free but I see that it isn't anymore. I can testify that it works well.

If I'm reading it correctly though, you've got a bigger problem than that if the bios is password protected. I don't know about the Aspire One, in some other makes and models pulling a jumper off the motherboard will reset the bios back to default.

ecmasonjr, Sep 9, 2009
Ask a Question