Apple to stop Intel Atom Support

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by tux67, Nov 3, 2009.

1. tux67

tux67

tux67, Nov 3, 2009
  2. tux67

tux67

3. tux67

gnubeard

Actually, it isn't much of a set back at all.

For starters, you could always just run the older 10.6 kernels, as has been mentioned in the article and elsewhere in these forums.

The larger issue, however, is that Snow Leopard is gearing up to be an entirely 64-bit OS. Sure, it runs on 32-bit platforms.. but already there is software built for SL that is 64-bit only. More of that will come. Real Soon Now new MacOSX applications will be all 64-bit only, and that will be that.

If you persist in running OSX on your AAO at that point, it makes no sense to really even run SL at all - just run latest Leopard and use the older apps.

I'm running 10.6.1 on my AAO now.. just finished the install yesterday. It's nice enough. There are some long pauses in the boot process when loading 3rd party kexts - those pauses mitigate the otherwise fast SL bootup, so that it isn't much of a win over Leo for me. On top of that SL's new caching mechanism appears to break my favorite code injection technique, so unless I figure a way around that by next weekend, I'll be wiping this install out and moving back to 10.5.8.

The realizations about the 64-bit future of SL, and the recent news about 10.6.2 just add fuel to the fire.

gnubeard, Nov 3, 2009
  4. tux67

Bloodstar

Being one who was somewhat anxious to try OS X out, I was kinda irked by this as well.

Seeing as they're trying to drop 32-bit support and such, though... I doubt I'll worry about OS X anymore. :/ I didn't exactly have the resources to replace my network card anyway, so I couldn't get much done to begin with.

Maybe sometime in the future I'll give 10.5.8 a shot, though. If nothing else, it'd be something fun to play around with.

Bloodstar, Nov 3, 2009
Ask a Question