AOD255 with intel wireless strange wifi speed limit problem.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DugFreez, Jan 17, 2011.

1. DugFreez

DugFreez

Info:
    Apire One D255-2301 (netbook)
    Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN (WiFi card)
    Windows XP
    D-Link DGL-4300 wireless g router

I believe I have all of the software / drivers / BIOS updated on the netbook and the router. The problem I have seems to be a strange one. I can always connect to my wireless router fine. I don't have any problems with the signal strength or the signal being dropped. When the netbook is booted or comes out of sleep mode it connects quickly and without any errors.

The problem I do have is with the wireless speed on the netbook. I have a cable internet connection that gets a speedtest of 15 Mbps - 24 Mbps with my wired PC. After I bought my netbook and got it set up I decided I would do a speedtest with it. It got a 6.5 Mbps. I figured I would look at my routers wireless setting. I changed the wireless channel and rebooted the router. The netbook disconnected when the router rebooted but quickly found it again after the router came back up. I ran another speedtest on the netbook and it got a 17 Mbps. I thought this solved the problem....but after a netbook reboot I ran a speedtest again on the netbook and it was stuck at 6 Mbps again.

Since then I have experimented around and discovered this: If the netbook connects to my router and then I change the wireless channel (it doesn't seem to matter what channel I change it to or from...as long as I change it) it will get the fast speed....BUT as soon as I reboot the netbook / it goes into sleep mode / I manually have it drop the connection and reconnect...it goes back to the slow bottlenecked 6ish Mbps limit again.

I know the router is a wireless g and the netbook is a wireless n....but even connecting at g speed shouldn't limit my internet to 6 Mbps. I can't understand what would make the speed limit at 6 Mbps but then lift the limit just by the netbook discovering my router is using a different channel and switching to it.

Any help is appreciated. If you need any more info on my system please ask. Thanks.

DugFreez, Jan 17, 2011
Ask a Question