AOD250 Not booting up: missing pci driver

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by amanda121321, Mar 3, 2013.

1. amanda121321

amanda121321

Hi there! I'm a bit computer illiterate when it comes to BIOS and hardware and all that, so please bear with me.

A friend gave me his old netbook to keep me entertained while I'm at work and told me to go ahead and delete the accounts that were on there and all the files associated with them. The netbook is an Acer Aspire One D250 or KAV60 with Windows XP. It was working fine, I created a new Admin account and deleted the old ones. I did the disk clean up thing (I'm thinking that's where the problem started) and selected all of 'em, the temporary internet files and whatever else was taking up space. The computer froze during the disk clean up so I held the power button to restart it and when it restarted I got the black screen that says Windows cannot start because the files "system32\drivers\pci.sys" is missing or corrupt.

It says I need a Windows Startup CD to attempt to repair it, but I don't have it and my friend doesn't know where it is so I'm wondering how on earth do I fix that file if I can't even boot the computer up? I know that I can download drivers from Acer's site and I did grab the chipset driver but will that be able to repair it from a USB?

amanda121321, Mar 3, 2013
  2. amanda121321

Nestone50

If your netbook has the original Acer Windows installation, there is a separate partition with the Windows recovery files. With the netbook turned off, keep pressing F8. You should come to the Windows restore program. You can first try Windows repair. If that doesn't work, you can do a Windows restore that will erase all programs and restore the OS to the state it was new rigght out of the box.

Nestone50, Mar 3, 2013
  3. amanda121321

Taboo42814

When you push the power button on your Acer Aspire, hold down ALT and press F10 Repeatedly untill your screen says "Windows Loading Files" This will give you the option to restore your computer to default factory settings! Hope this helps!:)

Taboo42814, Aug 23, 2014
  4. amanda121321

Brian8gbSSDLinux

IF none of the above have got you up running...
    Here is a link to my Windows XP SP3 ISO

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cgxqofztch37r7/WINDOWS XP SP 3.iso?dl=0

It is around 570 Mb so it won't be a 'fast' download...

DO NOT just COPY it to a USB Stick... You will need to 'BURN' it to a USB Stick using a program like WINtoFlash - WATCH IT... When Installing W2F it tries to load other files at the same time...
    DO NOT just click, click, click Install.... READ what it says and do a 'Customized' install and UNTICK anything else it wants you to install.
    Otherwise... it is a Great program.. (works with Win 7 as well).

Hope this was useful.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Aug 24, 2014
Ask a Question