AOD150 models and upgrades

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by liz, Apr 2, 2009.

1. liz

liz

I am a non-techie who's just bought a RED AOD150-1920 at Staples online for $349. I think it must be the latest model, because I can't find any other references to either the 1920 or the color by googling, and I can't find any info about getting a 1GB memory upgrade. Can anyone (1) confirm that my deductions are correct--or if I'm wrong, please correct me ;)--and (2) tell me in For Dummies language how I'd upgrade the RAM, both what to buy and how to install? Thanks. BTW, the official Acer website seems to be useless. Am I right about that?

liz, Apr 2, 2009
  2. liz

AspireOverdrive

The AOD 150 uses DDR2 laptop memory. I just stuck a regular 2gb DDR2 chip in mine and it works fine. There is only one memory slot and it supports 2gb.

AspireOverdrive, Apr 3, 2009
  3. liz

AOD150BLACK

It will run 2G 667 PC5300 just fine. 2G = 2 gigabytes, 667 = 667mhz the speed it runs at, and PC5300 is a standard DDR2 memory type at this speed.

It needs to be 200 pin so-dimm, that describes the type of slot it fits into, 200 pin connectors that fit into the slot on the motherboard.

Here is a short list of some of this type of memory:
    2G PC5300 200 SO-DIMM @ Newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...381 1052910525 1309221136 1309121116&name=2GB

I used the Crucial module, and it has been recognized and works fine with both XP and Windows 7 Beta.

To install, grab a phillips (crosstip) screwdriver, unplug your D150, remove the battery, and turn it upside down.

1-Unscrew and remove the medium size door on the bottom, it may take a bit of prying after removing the screws

2-Gently pull the two white bars on either side of the memory stick to unlock it.

3-Gently pull out the loose memory stick.

4-Notice the position of the gap in the pins on the bottom of the stick, it is offset from the center, and will show you the correct way to place the new stick in the slot. Press in firmly and be sure the bars are reseated agasinst the sides of the memory.

5-Replace the cover, pressing firmly to snap it back in place, then replace the two screws

That's it, boot up your D150 and it should run a bit quicker.

AOD150BLACK, Apr 3, 2009
  4. liz

creepinchi

The AOD150 is the current model. I think the 1920 is used to indicate a red version of the AOD150.

You have one slot that is currently using a 1GB RAM module (chip). You will need to remove this 1GB chip and replace it with a 2GB DDR2 SODIMM (RAM/chip).

Here's a link that illustrates how to replace the RAM:
    http://www.laptopmag.com/advice/how-to/ ... 0-ram.aspx

creepinchi, Apr 3, 2009
  5. liz

liz

Wow, this is great. Thank you, all who responded. If I find I'm still too much of a Dummy to do it myself, I'm smart enough to see that you have given me all the information I need to get someone to help me. :)

liz, Apr 3, 2009
  6. liz

Bad_Company

So yeah... good choice on the color. The red one looks much better in person than the black one I have. lol.

Anyway... what impact would running 2gb of ram and/or a bigger hard drive have on battery life as opposed to leaving ? It would be useful if we could get some kind of test numbers on it.

Bad_Company, Apr 7, 2009
Ask a Question