AOD150-1189 Question, SSD install ? & 6 cell battery ?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Cisco KId, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Cisco KId

Cisco KId

Hey Peeps,

Scored a AOD150-1189 1 mth old w receipt bought at a Staples for $225 cnd = to $195 US, everything as new in box, like new perfect shape 3 cell battery though which I plan to replace. The seller just felt after a month for their business they need a bit bigger unit

First I plan to upgrade ram to 2GB and use an ext dvd writer so I can do a fresh OS install and load some progs.

I have an OCZ Core Series stat II 2.5 SSD drive, will this fit into the Hard drive spot in the unit , as a drop in or will it require modz?

Last what or where can one find a cheap 6 cell battery upgrade, I am sure others have come across ebay sellers or may be able to point me to a site that has replacements for a good deal. I am not to big on the 6 cell look but the longer run time will be nice over the 3 cell it came with

Appreciate all feedback

Cisco KId, Jul 23, 2009
  2. Cisco KId

gameguy1589

gameguy1589, Jul 23, 2009
  3. Cisco KId

malvo26

Swapping the 160 GB HDD for an OCZ SSD is no problem at all. Why do you want to swap the drive? You have a lot more storage room on the 160 GB HDD. :)

malvo26, Jul 24, 2009
  4. Cisco KId

Cisco KId

I have this 60GB SSD just sitting here, they use such little power and release no heat the 3 cell would probably run alot longer. I plan to buy a 6 or 9 cell soon but the SSD drives are alot faster than the 160gb 5400 rpm sata drive in the unit but yes I would give up space. The unit is mostly for my son and I feel 60 would probably be enough if managed right. Just in the process of backing up the original image went and bought a ext dvd slim writer to make it real simple.

Thoughts on running Windows 7 on these units w 2gb ram? Or is better to just stay XP SP3?

Cisco KId, Jul 24, 2009
  5. Cisco KId

Cisco KId

I was looking at batteries from
    http://www.global-laptop-batteries.com/ ... ttery.html

As nice as a 9 cell would be it is just too big for my usages. Next where can one get a nice sleeve with handles that will fit a 6 cell on the unit possibly a 9 as well?

Cisco KId, Jul 24, 2009
  6. Cisco KId

AOD150BLACK

There have been posts mentioning sleeves at WalMart that fit well.

Windows 7 runs fine, I've tried three different builds, and am currently using the release candidate. Be sure to search these forums for posts on W7 drivers. If I remember, you need to download Synaptics touchpad and Aetheros(sp?) wifi drivers.

The 6 cell battery doesn't stick out too bad, and the bit that does makes the angle better for typing IMHO. It does add a bit of weight, but I still have no problems holding it on the palm of one hand for 10 minutes at a time.

The SSD sounds like a good idea, so long as your son doesn't download lots of video. The 2g ram is definitely necessary for Windows 7, and pretty much necessary for anything other than basic surfing and wordprocessing on XP.

I hope you didn't buy and external disc drive but are just using one you already had. You can use a drive on any computer on your network to do installs and backups, and it's only a bit slower.

Sounds like you got a sweet deal, good luck with getting set up the way you like!

AOD150BLACK, Jul 26, 2009
  7. Cisco KId

abaldwin360

Will that 9-cell work with an AOD-150? I get about 5 hours out of my 6-cell, but would love the extra capacity.

abaldwin360, Jul 26, 2009
  8. Cisco KId

Cisco KId

I like the unit but I really really loathe the glossy screen, the unit is pretty useless in any type of ambient light , outdoors it is terrible imho. To the point I think I may flog it and go with a matte screen unit , problem is I will end up paying alot more to get one now unless I can come across another deal like I found, I did buy an ext dvd writer just cause it is far easier than bothering with the network especially if I am not home. I gave thought to doing it via the network but need to keep it simple for my son

Cisco KId, Jul 27, 2009
Ask a Question