AOA150 Windows 7 Crashes, BSODs and Lost Connection

Discussion in 'Windows' started by lillyworth, Jul 21, 2009.

1. lillyworth

lillyworth

I've been using various builds of Windows 7 on my AOA150 including 7100, 7264 and now the supposed RTM 7600.

With every version I've been experiencing frequent crashes of various programs llike Firefox, Internet Explorer, uTorrent, Windows Media Player, VLC... frequent BSODs and losing the internet connection about every half hour. The AERO interface also turns itself off and on randomly. (Firefox has just crashed as I was typing this!).

I've tried the drivers that come preinstalled and all the various updated drivers to no avail.

I've run Memtest86 and there are no ram problems.

After each BSOD I've found nothing informative with Event Viewer.

Anyone else having these issues with Windws 7 on the Acer Aspire One? I'm beginning to think I have a defective machine.

lillyworth, Jul 21, 2009
  2. lillyworth

garrovick

It might be the AERO interface. These little AOA 150s are NOT up to that task. One or 1.5 of ram is simply not going to hack it. Not to mention the graphics chip. Redo it without the Aero.

And of course, Win7 is still beta. And not all software is Win7 ready either.

garrovick, Jul 21, 2009
  3. lillyworth

lillyworth

I've tried turning off Aero but the crashes just continue.

Surely Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player should be Windows 7 ready, especially as we're now on the RTM build?

lillyworth, Jul 21, 2009
  4. lillyworth

Tamrac

It's not AERO... Win7 AERO works perfectly without any problems in the AAO's. I've been running Win7 on my 1Gb A110 and have not got any BSOD of any sort.

TS: Does installing XP or Vista not give you any problems? If BSOD continues with any OS, it's safe to say you have something wrong with the hardware.

Tamrac, Jul 21, 2009
  5. lillyworth

funkyfarz

I´ve the axact same problem with my AOA150 with 1 Gb RAM and Windows 7 RC71000.

The computer dual boot with "Ubuntu Netbook Remix" and doesn't have any problems when running UBUNTU.

But if I turn off my wireless card when running W7 (on the switch down on your right site on the netbook) it seems to solve the problem . So right now I'm running on Wired network without any problems

So for me it seems to be the Wireless driver. Unfortunatly i can't find any driver for the wireless that seems to work with Windows 7.

funkyfarz, Aug 4, 2009
  6. lillyworth

lillyworth

Yeah, after some experimenting you're right, it's definitely the Atheros AR5007EG driver.

WTF? This makes the AOA150 unusable as is with Win7.

Guess I'll have to lob a wireless dongle into it for now until a stable driver comes available.

I'm currently using driver 8.0.0.171, dated 08/07/2009

lillyworth, Sep 1, 2009
  7. lillyworth

Modred189

Just my 2c. I am running Win 7 Pro RTM on my AAO 150-1570 with 1.5 gb of ram and I have ZER problems. All drivers except those stupid "base system device" entries installed automatically. Wireless works fine, Aero is on, though not by default.

EDIT: BTW, I am using the 8.0.0.171 Atheros driver.

Modred189, Sep 7, 2009
  8. lillyworth

koren

"base system device" you are refering to are the card readers.. drivers can be found in the forum.

koren, Sep 8, 2009
  9. lillyworth

Modred189

Yea, they didn't work.
    The card readers work just fine, but they still show up otherwise in DeviceStage.

I don't know why, but since it all works just fine (incl readyboost) I could care less! :D :D

Edit: I just popped in an SD card and away went the auto installer that went ONLINE to windows update and got the drivers!
    Who knew!?

Modred189, Sep 9, 2009
  10. lillyworth

silentkv

I'm not usually a fan of bumping but has anyone had luck with this? I recently bought Windows 7 and wiped replaced the XP that came with the system. I used to run the Beta and RC on a dual boot and would occasionally get crashes. Now since I got rid of the dual boot and only have the retail Windows 7, I thought it would solve the problem, but I still got a blue screen. It's been a few days since then because I don't use the netbook and my main computer is mac but it kinda pisses me off that a new installation of an OS still crashes.

silentkv, Oct 26, 2009
  11. lillyworth

lillyworth

Atheros driver update.

Latest version: 8.0.0.238 (dated 5th October '09) STILL causing BSODs, network disconnect, crashes.

I've temporarily solved the problem by connecting directly to the router with a network cable.

Still awaiting a stable Atheros driver for windows 7. :(

lillyworth, Oct 28, 2009
  12. lillyworth

Xtriny

Hi, I have got the same problem - it is really atheros driver. I´m using driver provided by microsoft for a few days and everything works fine. Try to update it ;)

Xtriny, Oct 29, 2009
  13. lillyworth

silentkv

I just updated the Bios to 3310 and even though after 3 scary reboots while starting, it seems to be okay. I might be speaking too early and I'll revise if I crash but so far I was able to download 2 large files, which I couldn't do before the Bios upgrade (bsods or browser crashes).

silentkv, Oct 30, 2009
  14. lillyworth

lillyworth

just updated to bios 3310. update went fine.

switched on wireless, fired up utorrent, all goes well for 30mins, then BSOD. :(

lillyworth, Nov 6, 2009
  15. lillyworth

silentspyder

I haven't had a bsod yet (or maybe I forgot) but I have had browser crashes, so the problem still persist :(

silentspyder, Nov 8, 2009
  16. lillyworth

joners

anyone running win7 64? there is a 64bit driver avilable.

i tried it on my 32bit no joy. fine for surfing but as soon as you go to download... bang connection has gone.

oh also had my first bsod with it :(

considering dropping back down to XP now...mind you i had slow wireless performance there (max 500k a sec) but at least it worked!

joners, Nov 17, 2009
  17. lillyworth

apereira

I have find a solution for this problem with my Windows 7 installation, I used the same version of the atheros driver that works on XP for Vista 32 bits on Windows 7.

I think the problem was that the driver at some point was intended to work on 64 bit system also and that causes the BSOD.

Anyway the driver is at: http://www.atheros.cz/download.php?atheros=AR5007EG&system=3

Scroll down to version: 7.6.0.154

I have JDownloader running for 24hs without a problem.

I hope it helps someone.

Alvaro.

apereira, Nov 24, 2009
  18. lillyworth

Modred189

Personally, I went out and bought an Intel internal wifi card.

Problem solved.

Modred189, Nov 30, 2009
  19. lillyworth

MDJ

Did the same thing... mine wasn't bluescreening, it would vanish from the device manager entirely whenever I tried to transfer a large file. Intel 5300 is sweetness!

MDJ, Dec 5, 2009
  20. lillyworth

shards

Can anyone else confirm if Apereira's solution of installing the Windows XP Atheros 5007EG driver in Windows 7 even works? If it does, can anyone else confirm it is a valid solution to these random BSoDs?

I've done the dance with Windows 7 on my AOA150 ZG5 twice now and both times resulted in random BSoDs that eventually make the system usable over time. I'd like to get some confirmed solutions before wiping my system for a third go.

Has anyone else found a valid solution other than replacing the internal wifi card?

Thanks.

Edit: Apereira's post highlights version 7.6.0.154 which is a Vista driver and not an XP driver. Regardless, can anyone confirm if it is a valid solution to the BSoDs?

@Apereira, how did the Vista drivers run for you over time?

shards, Dec 6, 2009
Ask a Question