AOA150 Intermittent WiFi Limited or No Connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by burrenyoga, Nov 21, 2011.

1. burrenyoga

burrenyoga

Hi,
    I have an Acer Aspire One AOA150 model and have been using it all the time at home using the Wifi no problem over the past few years. In fact there are two routers (one at home the other at work) and it works fine with both.

I am on holidays at present, and have intermittently over the past few days been getting the message "Limited or No Connectivity" despite the router signal being very good.

I pestered them to restart the router...but that did not fix the problem.. and in the end went to a cafe down the road.... but also got the same problem there.

So i figure that it is something with my Acer setup...rather than the WiFi service.

Strange thing is this morning it worked fine....so much so that we were able to use skype on the WiFi.

This evening same problem again, so i clicked for more information and the message said

The network did not assign a network address to the computer.

I checked the Network Connection Details, and all the following were assigned; Physical address, IP Address, Subnet mask, Default Gateway.

And the last two were blank; DNS Server and WINS Server

Does this give any hints as to what might be causing the problem?

Yesterday i had tried restarting the Acer a few times with no luck... but i tried again this evening, and this time it did connect to the router.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

TCP/IP properties are to set obtain IP address and DNS Server automatically.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

burrenyoga, Nov 21, 2011
  2. burrenyoga

burrenyoga

I should mention that i am running XP Home on the Acer.

After reading some other topics with WiFi problems i have just updated the
    Atheros AR5007EG driver to the latest version 9.2.0.104

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless- ... 2&system=1

I will keep this thread updated with how iot works over next few days/weeks. It's been working fine for the past 2 hours....... fingers crossed.

Dave

burrenyoga, Nov 21, 2011
  3. burrenyoga

Swarvey Moderator

Try this. Open up a command prompt (win key + r, type cmd and press enter), then run these commands:
    netsh firewall reset
    netsh interface reset (if that fails try netsh interface reset all)
    netsh winsock reset
    Then reboot the laptop
    Also you might want to check that the dns service is running

Swarvey, Nov 22, 2011
  4. burrenyoga

burrenyoga

Thanks Swarvey,
    I didn't get a chance to try what you suggested...... as i didn't receive an email to say there was a reply...and the problem did not reoccur until yesterday..... so i hadn't checked the post recently.

Anyhow the first time i had tried disabling Norton Internet Secuity and many other things....but no joy.... and then as if magically the problem was fixed the next morning.... not by anything i did...as far as i know.

Worked fine for 4 weeks..... every day... then yestrday it struck again. And i noticed i couldn't get through to the network support guys again.....as they were on holiday ...... concidence as the first gttime it happened they were also on holiday?..... i think not.

Yesterday i decided to do nothing.... and just wait for these guys to come back from their holiday, and reset everything.

And sure enough this morning it is working fine.

I am guessing that it has someting to do with the network provider..... either noise on the line... or memory being used up and not dropped...i reall don't know what.... but is somehow fixed when they reset some particular part of their syatem.

Over and out ;-)
    Dave

burrenyoga, Dec 18, 2011
Ask a Question