AOA150 Battery "Unknown"

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by rrgane, Jun 6, 2009.

1. rrgane

rrgane

I just got my new (refurb) AOA150 and am ridiculously happy with it.. except one glitch that i can't seem to fix.

when booting into windows (XP) with AC the battery led flashes orange.. always.. never has it changed color or stayed lit or anything..

i go to check the battery level in the sys tray and it says "Unknown Remaining" if i mouse over, when i open it it says "Total Battery Power Remaining Unknown" , however the bar is completely green (allegedly all charged). i can power up with AC, then remove the power cord and it runs fine, i can reboot in that state, but if i try to power up cold from just the battery, the battery led flashes for a few seconds then stops and it won't power up.

i tried taking the battery out, powering on, putting it back in, removing the power cord, and pretty much every odd variation, but never boots on battery.

i flashed my BIOS from 3309 to 3310 with no improvement. i am in the process of draining the battery out, and seeing if it will recognize after it has been sucked clean of power.

i see that others have had similar issues, and tried all the advice i could find, anyone else have this exact issue? fix it? how?

by the way, the battery is a 6 cell..

-----

Draining the battery did not help. under the "Power Meter" Battery Details it says 0000UNKNOWNBAT1

rrgane, Jun 6, 2009
  2. rrgane

Rich in ILM

There is a chip in the battery that lets the acer know who and what the battery is.
    There is a failure with either the computer reading the chip (unklikely) or a failure of the connector or chip.
    At least that's my best guess.
    Any chance of borrowing a known good battery?

Rich in ILM, Jun 6, 2009
  3. rrgane

rrgane

thanks Rich in ILM,

unfortunately i couldn't spend even the few days trying to suss this, so i returned the AOA150, and upgraded to a AOD150..

but at least in the future i will know!

btw .. this AOD150 Rocks!

rrgane, Jun 7, 2009
Ask a Question