AOA110 Hard drive

Discussion in 'Storage' started by brunoman, Jan 2, 2010.

1. brunoman

brunoman

Hi all and thanks for all info. I am new an hope I in right place. I would like to change my SSD for either a 80gig toshiba MK8010GAH(from a dead ipod) or a 2.5" WD scorpio 320gig. Can anyone help me witth cables required/possibility. Thanks in advance

brunoman, Jan 2, 2010
  2. brunoman

olavxxx

Hi, if you wish to fit a SATA drive (2.5"), you will need ok soldering skills.
    Also you will need connectors and you have to take your self good time for the modifications.

Look on morrislee's page:
    http://www.theacerguy.com/2009/01/aspir ... 0-25-sata/

as you see, it is very "tight" soldering.. I warmed the "feet" for the connectors with the iron and then I put the soldering flux or what it's called, by the base/mainboard and pulled it away at once it melted. that gave me "perfect" soldering, but I of course got some problems so I had to redo some solderings.. but it worked and booted up on first try.

I did instead of solder thick power wires, solder 3 wires for power and 3 for ground.. this was due to I think it sticks better in the areas then, on the mainboard. I have many pics of my mod, but I have yet to get it on to my pc.. and now I'm coming down with a flu, so I dont feel like photoshopping :p

The only P&P upgrade for you, is to mount a ZIF drive. There is a thread in the forums here which says what ZIF drives are P&P.. However you might have to grind the cable, if it's too thick.. or maybe you have to buy a new cable. Do a search on the forums.

olavxxx, Jan 3, 2010
  3. brunoman

brunoman

Hi olavxxx, Thanks for reply and I hope your flu gets better real soon. I have doen a lot of searching and have seen your link but that levelof soldering is way beyond me. Would you please look at this link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TM:GB:1123

to ebay hk. He says it will fit and do the job but how about the different voltages-the output for ssd is 3.3V(same as pata disks) but for sata it is 5(?). I have'nt opened mine yet but maybe someone would comment on space available for this and the disk. It would be a very simple solution if it fits. Thanks again for your help

brunoman, Jan 3, 2010
  4. brunoman

olavxxx

for a P&P, the only sollution is ZIF drive..

I would consider buying a new acer aspire one (a150), if you are not skilled with soldering.. This is due to the cost of the larger ZIF drives, also they are degraded in performance, compared to the 2.5" sata. With the 2.5" sata, it really is snappy in windows 7, w/ 1.5gb ram :)

olavxxx, Jan 8, 2010
Ask a Question