AOA-150 Power problem

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by dturner40, Jan 7, 2010.

1. dturner40

dturner40

I have an AOA-150 that seems to have a power issue of some sort. The netbook will boot fine for a few seconds...sometimes long enough to see the Windows screen. Over the past two days this has occurred about three times. All other times the PC will not begin to boot. You press the power button and the green light will flash, LCD screen will flash bright white for a split second and it goes back off. No fans ever turn, no hard drive spin etc. The few times it does try to boot the LCD screens backlight will flash bright and dim like it is going between AC and battery power.

At this point, I have the thing completely apart sitting here on my desk. No extras plugged into the motherboard(no lcd, wlan, hdd, ram, etc). You plug in the AC adapter and battery to the motherboard and the amber charge light will flash. Everytime it flashes, I can hear a faint 'click' and the amber LED will appear to 'die' insyc with the click. In 2 seconds the amber LED comes on again for about about a second, you hear the click and it goes back out. Over and over. I can't pinpoint yet what the click is coming from. It sounds like the click of a small relay. If you hold down the power button, you hear this click over and over several times a second continuously and the amber LED will flash every so often(no real pattern).

I am currently trying to work through some ideas in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=16142
    When I check voltages on items like PQ2 and the battery and such. I get similar voltages to what others have seen, but every time I hear that click noise,the voltages will fluctuate. For instance on PQ2, pin 1,2,3,5,7,8 all have around 19volts and when the click occurs it drops about 3-4 volts....pin 4 checks around 8.5-9v and jumps to 12v when I hear the click. No voltages are ever stable on anything I have checked so far.

One question I have is should an ACER Aspire One AOA-150 boot on AC power even with the battery not connected? If I disconnect the battery and leave AC hooked up, I get no lights until I push the power button and all 4 LEDs and power LED light up for a split second then nothing(no click). Now if I hold the power button down, I get the clicking sound again repeating over and over several times a second, nothing else. I don't have a working Acer One to know how they are even supposed to function so just trying to get a good idea of what is going on.

Thanks

dturner40, Jan 7, 2010
Ask a Question