AOA 110 upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by OldPhil, Apr 22, 2014.

1. OldPhil

OldPhil

I just drug out my old Acer AOA 110 it has been sort of forgotten, have to many toys. Anyway it was stuck away due to its lack of capacity and the dreaded McAfee which having tried every trick in the book could not get it off. Shorten the story, I hooked up my remote CD and loaded Win 7 Home Premium this AM, much to my surprise it runs pretty decent. Now I have the bug as to which way to go, do I with a larger SSD or to a spinner. If I go to an SSD is there BIOS for it so I can take advantage of Trim? Or should I just go with a spinner. Any chance of upping the 1G to 2G's of ram, hate to just let is sit there any longer is has no time on it looks like it just came out of the wrapper.

Phil

OldPhil, Apr 22, 2014
  2. OldPhil

Nestone50

I have the AOA-150 which was the hard drive variant of this netbook. I, like you, installed Windows 7 with no problem other than the wireless modem. Initially, it seemed to be OK but after awhile, I started getting BSOD and other connectivity problems. Looked high & low for a suitable driver. I never found one that worked properly and ended up getting a mini USB dongle that also gave the benefit of n speeds. I disabled the Atheros wireless card in Device Manager.
    I read other posts in this forum group regarding people who have had success in replacing the SSD with a mini 1 1/4 inch HD. If you can find a cheap one on eBay, I'd go that route.
    Finally, regarding your question about additional RAM. There is a slot underneath the motherboard that will accept a stick of RAM. However, you are limited there to a 1 GIG stick. There is 512K of RAM soldered to the motherboard. It has been the holy grail of AOA-110 & AOA-150 owners to bump up the RAM to 2 GIGs. However, it is impossible. You are limited to 1.5 GIGs. The BIOS won't recognize 2.5 GIGs regardless of the OS. Trust me on this. To partially overcome the lack of RAM, I bought a 2 GIG high speed SD card and dedicated that to Ready Boost.
    All this being said, I wouldn't put too much money in this now obsolete netbook. Mine is fine for word processing and web surfing/email. I use it as my travel machine as it is very light and easy to stow. I have all my work docs on Google Drive so I have easy access to my important papers anywhere there is an wifi hotspot.

Nestone50, Apr 22, 2014
  3. OldPhil

OldPhil

Oddly enough the wifi worked right off the bat, like you this is for local stuff doctors visits etc. O will look into a stick of ram that will work and a mini HD. Thanks for your reply much appreciated.

Phil

OldPhil, Apr 22, 2014
Ask a Question