AO751h issue with graphic settings on XP

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Inuya5ha, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Inuya5ha

Inuya5ha

Hi, first of all, I'm glad to tell that this 11 inch beauty is my first notebook/netbook ever acquired and I'm very satissfied with it. Every aspect of the device is, well, just perfect. The only drawback is I have the no-bluetooth version, and the following issue.

As we all know, graphic settings must be touched in order to get the proper desktop color settings. So I set a 0.7 gamma, I lower brightness and contrast a bit and voila, I have the real colors in my widescreen display. The problem is, after I suspend the machine and press any key to reactivate it, all my color settings are totally IGNORED and once again all shades of gray turn into bright white again... Nevertheless, when I return to the Intel GMA color correction panel, my settings are still there: The problem is, they are NOT applied after the display is turned off and back on. I'm sure any user with this netbook has the same issue.

So everytime I suspend the machine, I must go the nasty and left-top-positioned Intel GMA diplay settings window, and move any slider from my color settings to reapply them.

Is there a solution or patch for this? It's quite annoying to loose proper color settings several times per day, and the default settings are extremely bright, I could assure this forum has all background colors set to #FFFFFF when having the color settings restored after a system suspension. If you are on any netbook and you think all brackgrounds are white, then your color settings are wrong, like in most notebook and netbooks with a Windows OS.

Below is my driver info:

Code:
    Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for ultra mobile Report

Report Date:		02/05/2010
    Report Time[hr:mm:ss]:	22:55:36
    Driver Version:		6.14.11.1018
    Operating System:		Microsoft Windows XP* Professional, Service Pack 3 (5.1.2600)
    Default Language:		Spanish
    DirectX* Version:		9.0c
    Physical Memory:		2038 MB
    Minimum Graphics Memory:	64 MB
    Maximum Graphics Memory:	509 MB
    Graphics Memory in Use:	22 MB
    Processor:		x86 Family 6 Model 28 Stepping 2
    Processor Speed:		1240 MHZ
    Vendor ID:		8086
    Device ID:		8108
    Device Revision:		07
    ANY help on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! ;)

Inuya5ha, Feb 6, 2010
  2. Inuya5ha

Pytheas

I face this specific problem too, under Windows 7 and regardless the GMA500 driver version. In fact it was really really weird to see that no other user faces this problem.
    As Inuya5ha mentioned, this happens after the 751h has entered the Sleep Mode (or Suspend) and then I reactivate it. I use a slightly custom desktop theme, based on the Windows 7 Classic (not Aero), which has shades of blue. After reactivating the netbook, all shades of blue seem washed-out, a light blue which is really annoying.

A workaround that usually works (in order to avoid restarting the netbook) is going into the Customize Desktop menu (right click on desktop -> last option) and then picking my Theme again. Sometimes I have to use another theme and then return to my own theme.

Since I have been more concerned (and really busy) with the freezing problem, I considered this problem a minor one, so I use the workaround to get the right colors on my screen.

Pytheas, Feb 6, 2010
  3. Inuya5ha

dattrax

This is simple to fix

In the GMA driver settings there is a conservative power mode that is activated. Just switch it off and the palette goes back to normal.

If you need more details then I'll have to boot up my netbook.

Jim

dattrax, Feb 7, 2010
  4. Inuya5ha

Guest Guest

I suddenly started having this issue today while I was in class!

This is annoying. Anyone know why this is happening out of no where?

Guest, Feb 12, 2010
  5. Inuya5ha

Guest Guest

Hm thanks. That does seem to work!

Can someone tell me if the high contrast only happens when they run on battery power? As soon as I plug the power brick back in the colors look fine! So it seems to be the power management "Feature" of the gma 500.

Guest, Feb 12, 2010
  6. Inuya5ha

Inuya5ha

Hey thanks, it seems disabling that option really worked!! :D The option should be called "Constantly screw my graphic settings to annoy me" so that the user would easily notice what it makes...

I'm having another problem with certain games that don't work in fullscreen mode but they do in windowed mode, I wonder if there's a newer driver than the one I posted in the first message... currently I have 6.14.11.1018, which I think I got from Intel, while in Acer's Europe support site the latest version for WinXP is the official driver from Acer's suppor site, for Windows XP, which is version 6.14.11.1012 dated 2009/07/21.

Would I get better driver results by migrating to Windows Seven?

Thanks in advance.

Inuya5ha, Feb 15, 2010
  7. Inuya5ha

Pytheas

Yeap it definitely works! Thanx a lot for the tip! :D

I am concerned though about the effect this option has on the battery consumption... first we have to disable hardware acceleration of the GMA500 in order to minimize the freezing, then we have to disable this energy option in order to keep the colours right! Damn faulty video drivers!! :x

And no, you will not get anything concerning this problem by upgrading to Windows 7. I keep getting this error in Windows 7, too, with the latest (2020) video drivers.

Pytheas, Feb 15, 2010
Ask a Question