AO751h freezes when using webcam programs

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I just recently purchased this thing for my uncle for basic use. It's decent so far, but I've found that whenever I try to use Skype, MSN, or Gmail video chat with the webcam, after a certain amount of time, my entire system will just freeze. Could it possibly be that the RAM is still at 1GB? I plan on upgrading it to another stick to get 2GB (or can I go higher?) But in any case, does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks

Guest, Oct 13, 2009
  2. Guest

Nick_in_Wash

Check the "System Freezes up" thread here, there was some talk about installing a new sound driver to fix this problem. You will find the best information on the thread.

Nick_in_Wash, Oct 13, 2009
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Is this the one to look through?

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=16164

Many of the posts I searched only talked about the video itself freezing. But my problem is that the system freezes entirely. But I guess I'll look through it again. And maybe update all the drivers as well.

-edit-
    I think i've come across what I might be looking for. It's also suggested that updating the BIOS will help as well. Where can I find information to go about doing this on the A1? (I'm actually an EEE guy =p)

Guest, Oct 13, 2009
  4. Guest

cmeide

Updating the BIOS on the aspire one is easy. Simply download the new BIOS from Acer's website and run the program from windows.
    NOTE: the newer BIOS does not seem to change any freezing related issues. On the other hand, users have reported irratic cpu behavior after updating. What the BIOS changes really consists of, is Acer's well kept secret. Also note that getting a lockup while updating the BIOS might give you serious problems.

Your best bet is to change the RAM. The problem seems to be in the module itself, not the size. I downgraded from 2 to 1GB to get a stable system.

cmeide, Oct 13, 2009
  5. Guest

c921

I went through that problem first time I got my netbook, the whole system would freeze.

I updated my bios to the latest one 3210 from acer support and the Realtek Audio drivers.

I used skype yesterday for 4 hours straight (WITHOUT VIDEO) and didn't experience any freeze.
    The webcam will used to work for a few minutes and then video will freeze. I haven't tried using the webcam
    since I don't want to restart my system just because of skype so now I don't bother turning it on.
    I also sent mine for repair at the Acer Depot Service but they didn't fix the problem.

I have the 2GB memory but it froze the first time I used it.

I suggest you update the bios and sound card drivers plus the intel gma 500 drivers to the latest one.

c921, Oct 13, 2009
  6. Guest

diving4_fun

I just purchased an A075h-1545 and I am having the same exact problem (complete lockup when using AIM video chat or Skype, but no other times). It looks like there are several things I can try but they all give mixed results. Has anyone found the cause of this issue? And where is the best place to get fully updated drivers, since I do not know the exact components of my system.

Thanks

diving4_fun, Oct 15, 2009
  7. Guest

diving4_fun

I upgraded to 2 GB of memory and the problem has gone away.

diving4_fun, Dec 1, 2009
  8. Guest

maunat

Hi diving4_fun ,
    could you indicate the model (brand,.....) and the seller of this RAM module?

THANK YOU!

maunat, Jan 5, 2010
  9. Guest

cmeide

Maunat,
    The RAM in my signature solved all freezing issues on my 751h.
    There is an other person here on the forum (Lanailizard?) who tried the same module but apparantly had some problems in the beginning but I am uncertain how it turned out. Maybe he/she can chime in.

cmeide, Jan 5, 2010
  10. Guest

yyxd78

cmeide,

I just received yesterday my AO751H repaired by Acer for the freeze problem. They replaced the hard drive.

However, the problem seems still there, though not as so often as before repair.

What do you mean by "The RAM in my signature solved all freezing issues on my 751h"? How do you change RAM?

yyxd78, Jan 6, 2010
  11. Guest

cmeide

I used to have all the freezing issues described in this and other threads here, mainly freezing when not using, freezing when scrolling, freezing when using messenger webcam, freezing when transfering files via USB, etc. I do not believe in heat being the issue as it might as well freeze 2 seconds after booting up cold. For me, sending the unit to Acer would be the last way out, specially after what I read.
    After a tip on this forum, I did a little research on RAM and decided to buy the (rather expensive) Hynix RAM. The main reason for this is that that particular RAM is one of only two approved by Asus for overclocking their netbook with similar chipset. Since then, I have not had a single issue.
    Others here have also reported getting stable units after swapping the RAM. The problem was to find a RAM module that we could say for sure would fix the problem. I am reluctant to recommend someone to buy an expensive memory module if I am not 100% sure it will solve their problem. I can only talk for myself. There are others here now that has tried this same module and I hope we can get feedback from them. :)

The RAm module is easily accessible by loosening 2 screws and removing a cover under your netbook.

cmeide, Jan 6, 2010
Ask a Question