ao751 Mac Os X 10.6 USB Installation via Mac 10.6.3 upgrade

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by brogie, Jan 18, 2010.

1. brogie

brogie

TUTORIAL(EDITED APRIL 5th 2010)

What You Need:
    •8gb or bigger external USB Hard Drive
    •Mac Os X running hardware: MacBook, MacBook Pro or other
    •AO751h
    •Mac OSX 10.6 Disk
    •10.6.2 combo update http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/a ... combo.html
    •10.6.3 combo update http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL10 ... 10.6.3.dmg
    •Windows 7 (for dual boot) and External DVD USB drive
    •NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3rc5 http://netbook-installer.googlecode.com ... C5.app.zip
    •NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre http://netbook-installer.googlecode.com ... re.app.zip
    •AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext size 250kb from here http://www.mediafire.com/?jmkgrgkjeyi
    •VoodooHDA.kext size 537 KB http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F7AM6TV4
    or here with others http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VMLE4MNC

On Mac:

1. Click on NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3rc5.app and choose show package contents. Search for AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext files in contents. Replace three of them with 250kb one You downloaded before. Should be here

NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 RC5.app/Contents/Resources/SupportFiles/machine/Dell Mini 9/10.6 Extensions
    NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 RC5.app/Contents/Resources/SupportFiles/machine/Dell Mini 9/10.5 Extensions
    NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 RC5.app/Contents/Resources/SupportFiles/machine/General/10.6 Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

2. Prepare Your 8gb usb drive according to mechdrew instructions http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi1.shtml
    3.Run NetbookBookMaker 0.8.3rc5 and choose as target: Mac Os x Install DVD. Let it successfully patch Your usb hd. Close NBM and eject usb drive

On AO751h:

1. Take out Your battery. Plug Your NBM USB hd, don't plug other usb devices.
    2. Power on AO751h push F2 to open bios/main enable F12 Boot Menu, F10/Yes to save and reboot with F12 to chose USB hd.
    3. You will see Apple logo and after some time Installation language setup. Choose Your language and accept to go to Disc Manager from Installation menu. Choose 1 partition setup (2 partitions if You want to have dualboot with Windows 7, make second fat partition) Mac Os X extended (Journaled) GUID Partition Table. Press Apply, then Partition. When it is finished, close Disk Utility.
    4. Select Your new mac partition and customize what You want to install. Install. AO751h should reboot automatically.
    5. Fix sound: Open system/library/extensions -remove AppleHDA.kext(create a backup!) -copy VoodooHDA.kext. Internal or external(mini jack) mic is still not working (Only external usb mic works). Run NetbookInstaller (0.8.3rc5) from Your applications. Reboot.
    6. Download NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre http://netbook-installer.googlecode.com ... re.app.zip
    7. Click on NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre.app and choose show package contents. Search for AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext files in contents. Replace two of them with 250kb one You downloaded before. Install NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre
    8. Reboot.
    9. For better video install Perian http://perian.org/
    10. For WIFI internet You can buy usb mac dongle- 14$.
    11. Upgrade to 10.6.2 - use combo update don't restart yet.
    12. Install NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre after update again. Reboot.

You can update to 10.6.3 only if You have access to /System/Library/Extensions via second partition (I'm using win7) or other way
    13. Upgrade to 10.6.3 - use combo update don't restart yet.
    14. Install NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre after update again. Reboot.
    15. You should try to run once with nbi safe mode: -x, -x -s -v options (use shift during start) and found that machine was "waiting for root device". Reboot in Windows 7 or other You are able to edit kext in /System/Library/Extensions on Your Mac partition
    16. Now You should access Your mac partition, I'm using windows 7 partition system and macdrive to delete the IOATAFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions ( I was trying to delete it after step 14. before reboot but didn't work )
    17. After delete IOATAFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions boot in safe mode: push shift on boot after partitions icons appear write -x ( I found this trick on MyDellMini forum - work on ao751h with NBI8.4pre only)
    18. You will see progress bar after some time and You will see that hd is finally reacting. In safe mode reinstall NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre and reboot.
    19. For sound run Update extra app and run it twice.
    20. Reboot - in 10.6.3

Installing win 7
    1. Power on AO751h push F2 to open bios/main enable F12 Boot Menu, F10/Yes to save and reboot with F12 to chose Windows 7 disc in DVD drive.
    Change fat partition into ntfs and install. After reboot You should be able to choose boot partition with Chameleon if not restart in Windows open command prompt (start accessories) and write:

DISKPART
    select disk 0
    select partition 1
    active
    now when you restart you will see chameleon.

I HAVE INSTALLED AND REINSTALLED WITH MY SAME GOOD OLD 8GB USB PENDRIVE 10.6.0 NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3RC5 ABOUT 100 TIMES AND DIDN'T ERASE ANYTHING TO KEEP MY WORKS ALIVE SO YOU CAN JUST CHOOSE TO COME BACK TO OLD 10.6.0 ANY TIME IF YOU KEEP YOUR USB DRIVE AS SAFETY! YOU CAN ONLY REINSTALL NETBOOKINSTALLER FROM 0.8.4PRE AND 0.84RC1 TO 0.8.3RC5 FROM APPLICATION SECTION OF INSTALLER WHEN YOU ARE ON 10.6.0, 10.6.1, 10.6.2. IF YOU NEED TO COME BACK FROM KP OR OTHER ERROR ON 10.6.3 YOU NEED TO INSTALL 10.6.0 BUT DON'T ERASE YOUR PARTITION JUST REINSTALL IT CHOOSING SAME THINGS - IT WILL SHOW LESS SPACE REQUIRED AND TAKES LESS TIME. AFTER SUCCESSFUL RE-INSTALLATION NEED TO RUN NETBOOKINSTALLER 8.4PRE AGAIN.

YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE ACTIVE YOUR WIN/MAC PARTITIONS AFTER USING NBI 0.8.3RC5 WITH YOUR WINDOWS 7 INSTALLATION DISC - USE REPAIR/COMMAND PROMPT:

DISKPART (enter)
    select disk 0 (enter)
    select partition 3 (enter)
    active (enter)
    reboot

after restart,start again with cd,it will now tell you to repair and restart,
    if not choose it your self
    now you can enter in windows after reboot.

in windows now:
    open comand prompt (start accessories) and write:

DISKPART
    select disk 0
    select partition 1
    active
    now when you restart you will see chameleon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I followed instructions from: http://code.google.com/p/netbook-instal ... ed_Devices

Comment by camrstac12, Jan 05, 2010

Thanks for your efforts guys! I am making progress getting AA 751H running; using the USB method the installer (10.6.0) fires up sweetly but no hard disk is seen. After a lot of testing I have found a AppleIntelPIIATA kext that appears to work, could anyone you a hint how to get that used in the USB method installer?

Comment by camrstac12, Jan 06, 2010

Update on Acer Aspire 751: use the USB method but copied the AppleIntelPIIATA.kext from the Dell Mini 10 thread to NetBootMaker?.app, install went OK 10.6 running with 1366x768, No Wifi failed to get the AR5001 going, have just bought a AppleAirport? for £20 to replace it. RealTek? works just fine. WebCam? is seen on the USB bus but doesnt work, nor does the sound, but since the Dell Mini 10 uses the same chipset it ought to work. Just updating to 10.6.2 (fingers crossed).

Comment by camrstac12, Jan 11 (6 days ago)

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/general ... opard.html grab the mini 10 support files. Grab the AppleIntelPIIATA.kext; replace this kext in the netbookbootmaker.app (just look inside the pkg to find where to put), then follow the instructions for USB key with MAC.

Tried same and my 751 is SL 10.6.2 now
    There is sound, Ethernet, no wifi and no mic still.
    I'm connecting via iPhone as modem to internet
    I'm sure there is some way to use as wifi modem too. Still searching.

So good luck

brogie, Jan 18, 2010
  2. brogie

brandl

Re: AAO 751 Mac Os X Snow Leopard via NetbookInstaller USB

did you install it on the internal HD? i´m asking that because the only way that i could reach the disk utility point was disabling the internal HD and proceed the instalation trough USB DVD + USB HDD.

any hint for me?

thanks!

brandl, Jan 23, 2010
  3. brogie

brogie

I installed on internal hd finally when I used newest NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 RC5
    - before I couldn't. Mac os x sl Installer couldn't find my internal hd.

brogie, Jan 25, 2010
  4. brogie

zombolo

I don't understand where to put AppleIntelPIIATA.kext... :/

I am unable to see my internal HDD during installation. Any help please?

zombolo, Feb 8, 2010
  5. brogie

joedr

brogie,

Do you mind sharing the Kexts used for booting the system via internal HDD and getting the rest of the elements (Video, Ethernet, etc) to work?

I am running a little hard time getting the AAO 751 to boot!

Thanks in advanced!

joedr, Feb 10, 2010
  6. brogie

brogie

I couldn't force old nbi recognise my hd.
    At some point also remove acer battery - it was blocking installation (i found it somewhere)
    replacing kext is easy follow

by camrstac12, Jan 11, 2010

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/general ... opard.html grab the mini 10 support files. Grab the AppleIntelPIIATA.kext; replace this kext in the netbookbootmaker.app (just look inside the pkg to find where to put), then follow the instructions for USB key with MAC.

than I had some issues with sound which camrstac12 didn't have
    Replace/ delete some other kext to run this shitty sound. Sound is really bad. I forgot which kext it was... Trying to look for better sound.

I'm testing Dell Mini 10v and it's ok but still AAO 751 looks better unused unsolved possibilities.

brogie, Feb 10, 2010
  7. brogie

brogie

for sound it was possibly this:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/general ... rd-11.html

" * sound is not working form me...

Addition for sound
    Fix sound, by removing AppleHDA.kext from /system/library/extensions (create a backup!), the install VoodooHDA.kext (goole it!)
    "

i will check it soon

ABOUT EDITING KEXTS IN APP - YOU NEED MODIFY NETBOOKBOOTMAKER 0.8.3 RC5.APP BY "SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS" WHEN YOU CLICK ON APP.

GOOD LUCK

I WILL TRY WRITE PROPER INSTALLATION TUTORIAL SOON

brogie, Feb 10, 2010
  8. brogie

joedr

I finally got it working! I am able to boot from the Internal HDD and had no sound. I tried the VoodooHDA.kext but it sounds crappy. Like it has interference. Is yours working fine?

If you can post the files that worked for you, I can take the initiative to put a tutorial on this thread and we can fine tune it. I tried to search for a tutorial on this netbook and I could only this thread.

joedr, Feb 10, 2010
  9. brogie

brogie

Dear Joedr

I was trying to install again and generally look for solutions for wifi, sound, graphics - copy some tricks from Dell Mini forum

Main thing I expirienced:

1. AAO 751h can't be running with battery for installation
    2. any usb device (mouse, stick...) kills reboot after successful installation

Installation follow mechdrew:
    http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi1.shtml

You can upgrade to 10.6.2. After any upgrade run NetbookInstaller. (Again for NetbookInstaller run need to unplug battery)

Sound:
    Really bad quality and no internal or external mic working. (usb phone works)
    there is one VoodooHDA.kext which worked for me: size 537 KB (524 657 B) not 209KB one.

GENERAL PERFORMANCE:
    - graphic: iPhoto no edit possible, no full screen
    - YouTube: poor, no full screen
    - avi, divx best with Perian 1.2 (but still poor and slow) I experienced any mplayer or vlc helps

If I'm compeering it to Dell Mini 10v running same system it's not possible performance is so worse...

brogie, Feb 10, 2010
  10. brogie

joedr

brogie,

Thanks a lot for the information! I am also running into identical situation on my end.

So far... I need to get the GMA 500 gfx card to support QE/CI as the system for some reason decided to recognize th card as a GMA 950 when I know for fact that it is a GMA 500. I can't get to show any preview on the Preview software. So, I am pretty sure that iPhoto won't work as well. I will try installing it to see how it reacts. The camera works but the refresh rate is so low that it does not offer a smooth transition between frames.

The sound is crappy even with the file you mentioned above. :-(

The other thing left is the Atheros AR5007EG that I am not able to get it to run with a few KEXTS I found on other posts at insanelymac and the use of KisMac.

If you have any more successes, please post it in here. I will be doing the same!

joedr, Feb 10, 2010
  11. brogie

brogie

gma 500 even if You force SL to see it will not find drivers. Same problem with Dell Mini 10 (no 10v). I didn't find any post on dell Mini 10 mini forum about successfully running graphics. Some rumours about 10.6.3 supporting it.
    Tried gmabooster and can't install so hard to say if it's working.
    I would fight more for graphic - wifi You can plug dongle or if You want use iPhone as bluetooth modem. Works well.
    Graphic comparing to Dell Mini10v which is not perfect could be much better on 751h

brogie, Feb 11, 2010
  12. brogie

AK963

@Brogie - Could you tell me where you got hold of GMA Booster? After donating I went to download it for OS X but it's no longer available. I emailed the dev 3 weeks ago and haven't got a response back :'(

AK963, Feb 11, 2010
  13. brogie

brogie

brogie, Feb 11, 2010
  14. brogie

brogie

brogie, Feb 11, 2010
  15. brogie

brogie

brogie, Feb 11, 2010
  16. brogie

joedr

Just posted in there as well to see if we can attract more people into developing a kext for the GMA500.

BTW... I am about to order a Dell 1510 WIFI card. It is a perfect fit for my netbook that it is half height. Is it true that the card is plug-n-play? That it does not require kexts to work on SL.

joedr, Feb 12, 2010
  17. brogie

brogie

just replace/rename AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver inside AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle with IMGSGX535GLDriver from it's bundle place it i extensions and run kext utility...

I can HEAR it's something different. ao751h "cooler" is running almost all the time

brogie, Feb 12, 2010
  18. brogie

joedr

Has anyone upgraded to 10.6.2? How did it go? Still struggling finding info on this dreaded GMA500.

joedr, Feb 14, 2010
  19. brogie

brogie

i have 10.6.2

brogie, Feb 14, 2010
  20. brogie

joedr

I will attempt the upgrade and report! Do you have to do anything to get it working?

Also... I tried the trick of renaming the driver @ insanelymac w/o success. It seems that no one is looking for developing a driver for the GMA500. Let's wish for the best!

joedr, Feb 15, 2010
Ask a Question