AO533 upgrade to DDR3 2GB ram?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by LAS, Aug 4, 2010.

1. LAS

LAS

Hello,

I know there's a thread about the AO532 upgrade to 2GB and acer customer service giving grief about it.

But, has anyone successful upgraded the ram specifically on the AO533 to 2GB which uses DDR3? Did a search and found no info for anything on the new AO533.

Below is a screen-shot of the specs. Also wondering if it is as simple and accessible as the AO532s.

Any info is appreciated.

[​IMG]

LAS, Aug 4, 2010
  2. LAS

bluevolume

The screenshot has errant information. The 533 has a N455 or N475 processor (depending on the configuration), which both support DDR3 RAM. The N450 does not, which in turn means that the 532h does not.

bluevolume, Aug 4, 2010
  3. LAS

Swarvey Moderator

Australian Acer website has some different information link

Looks like you m8ight be able to buy a version of the 533 that comes with Win 7 Home Premium which supports 2Gb DDR 3 RAM, one would hope it ships with 2Gb instead of 1

Swarvey, Aug 4, 2010
  4. LAS

LAS

Thank you both for the replies.

Pic below is from the Australian Acer website:
    [​IMG]

I'm just being cautious before I decided to buy. I've did some quick reading and heard some of the older older models have soldered in memory(ram) chips and hope not the case with the AO533s. I think it should be pretty safe to say the AO533 is very similar to the AO532s as far as upgrading.

I did find this youtube video of an unboxing of the AO533 and it shows a quick comparison to the AO532 and D150. At time 3:43 it shows the bottom of the AO533 has one big panel, and hopefully exposes as much as the AO532.

LAS, Aug 4, 2010
  5. LAS

guitarsareboring

Has anyone successfully upgraded this? My mom got one recently and bought some RAM for me to install. I searched online but can't seem to work out how to get to the RAM. I've had a look at the instructions for older models and attempted to lift the keyboard out with no joy, and I'm worried about breaking it.

The large panel on the back looks hopeful but there's no obvious way to open it. However if you take the battery out there appear to be some tabs that could possibly be used to remove the panel. I've given them a little push but they don't seem to move easily. Before I give them a big shove I wanted to see if anyone else has had any joy.

I don't understand why they make these so difficult to get into.

Thanks!

guitarsareboring, Aug 21, 2010
  6. LAS

stardancer

Has anybody got this working? I just bought a Kingston 2GB DDR3 PC3-10600 SoDIMM and I am getting a blank screen on boot, looks like it's not even loading the BIOS.

Maybe I have the wrong type of RAM? I'd love to know if anyone was successful.

Edit: the SoDIMM that came with my Acer Aspire One 553 says "Kingston 1GB 1Rx8 PC3-10600S 9-10-B1", the one I am trying to put in says "Kingston KVR1333D3S9/2G 1.5V" and is advertised as "2GB PC3-10600 CL9".

Crucial recommends this: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs ... FFA5CA7304 which is a PC3-8500 SoDIMM... if it's recommended by them maybe it works but it's weird that if the default ram is 10600 that another 10600 chip doesn't work. Has anyone tried with a PC3-8500 SoDIMM?

(I have ordered the recommended ram from Crucial, I will update this if it works)

stardancer, Aug 25, 2010
  7. LAS

guitarsareboring

How did you get to the RAM? Did you have to do the whole removing the keyboard thing like on older models or is there a simpler way now?

guitarsareboring, Aug 25, 2010
  8. LAS

stardancer

It's easy to do. Here's what you do:

1 - Remove the keyboard. This is easy, just be gentle. Poke a plastic screwdriver into the little tabs along the top of the keyboard and gently pop it off
    2 - Disconnect the keyboard cable (optional)
    3 - Unscrew the 6 very clearly marked screws (that say M2x6)
    4 - Poke something in the clearly marked hole near the hard-drive. This pops open the bottom panel
    5 - Pull off the bottom panel, gently.

Ta-Da!

Youtube video here

stardancer, Aug 25, 2010
  9. LAS

stardancer

It worked, I'm at 2GB!

I used the following RAM, recommended by Crucial.com: 2GB 204-pin DDR3 256Mx64 SODIMM PC3-8500 CL7

I still don't understand why PC3-10600 didn't work since the original RAM in there is PC3-10600. In any case it is working now.

Youtube video: right here!

IMPORTANT UPDATE: My friend ordered a SODIMM from crucial and here was low-density and it did not work. My original 10600 chip that didn't work was also low-density. The chip that did work was high-density. It may be that the chip from Crucial was defective but to be safe, I recommend calling Crucial to place the order and specifically request at *high-density* chip!

stardancer, Aug 27, 2010
  10. LAS

maddmatt02

you only actually have to remove two screws. they have a 1 next to them, then the hole with the 2 next to it is where you push through to pop out the bottom panel.

maddmatt02, Sep 19, 2010
Ask a Question