AO150 w/WinXP --> Can I create a recovery CD set?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Flashfox, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Flashfox

Flashfox

I have a "ONE" w/120GB HDD and XP SP3 (AO150). I want to create a restore CD/DVD but I am unable to find the utility to do this. Alt+F10 brings-up the eRecovery applicatiuon. However, the only choices I am presented with are RESTORE TO FACTORY DEFAULTS and reload applications :!:

According to the eRecovery manual (from the ACER ONE site), I am supposed to have the option to create the recovery CD/DVD set via an external USB drive (which I have). I now wonder if it applies to the version I have or only for Linpus?

- Any suggestions as to what I might be missing?
    - Has anyone created a recovery CD/DVD set for the "ONE" (Windows XP version) :?:

Flashfox, Sep 14, 2008
  2. Flashfox

snowwy66

i'm searching for that solution myself. i'm hoping to somehow unhide the partition and copy the files to sd slot. i've tried partition magic but it won't load. i keep getting errors and i'm guessing it has something to do with the way the hidden partition is hidden. i've used the ptedit method but then xp wouldn't boot up and i had to reload the OS. i hate to change the hidden partition type for fear of screwing it up and not being able to reload. and i really don't want to pay for recovery cd's and a usb rom drive. the rom drive in my pc works just fine for loading programs into the aa1. if only i could figure out how to make the aa1 load through the network into the recovery cd's

snowwy66, Sep 14, 2008
  3. Flashfox

Flashfox

FWIW, I created a backup of the hidden partition (PQSERVICE) using Acronis Disk Image 10.0. I then moved it to a DVD-DL. I hope that this will be sufficient for the moment... until I learn if and how to do this with the eRecovery application.

Flashfox, Sep 14, 2008
  4. Flashfox

Nosferatu

Nosferatu, Sep 14, 2008
  5. Flashfox

Flashfox

Good information... however, no matter how I try, eRecovery does NOT offer me an option to CREATE a recovery CD/DVD set. I have already used the RESTORE function to reset this ONE (it was a BB store demo and I wanted to flush everything and start fresh). Even after the restore, Atl-F10 within Windows presents me with only two options: RESTORE or Re-install applications. Sending Alt+F10 during boot-up does present me with the DOS eRecovery screen. However, as for the Windows version, all that I see as options are "Restore system to factory default" and "Restore system from CD-DVD". No option to CREATE a set. No password screen, etc.

So... unless I am missing something very obvious, how does one create a recovery CD/DVD set with the ONE (AO150 Win XP Home SP3, 120GB HDD, 1GB RAM)? Is there something that needs to be set in the BIOS?

Flashfox, Sep 14, 2008
  6. Flashfox

Nosferatu

There is a eRecovery driver version 2.1.3001 dated 4sept. 2008 at Acer Europe, maybe it can help? You can find it here
    http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/no ... e_150.html
    Too bad I can't try it myself, I was in a hurry to install Vista and never made a backup on the XP system...

Edit: If nothing helps,you can find a Unofficial Aspire One Windows XP Recovery Disc here
    viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2445

Nosferatu, Sep 14, 2008
  7. Flashfox

Flashfox

Thanks for the link... I downloaded version 3001. However, I will wait a bit to see if someone else has installed this version on a USA system. It's odd that on the ACER USA site, we seem to have much less options/choices with regards to applications.

Flashfox, Sep 14, 2008
  8. Flashfox

Flashfox

FYI... I just sent a request to ACER support asking about the eManagement features which should have been provided with this Aspire ONE. I specifically asked how I should create a recovery CD/DVD set. I will post the answer once I receive it from ACER.

Sure is odd as all of the FAQ and PDF documents for the ONE indicate that I should have all of this. However, I read one post in this section which quoted someone from ACER telling that user that the eManagement functions are only available for the LINPUS versions. This is odd as their FAQs state the opposite (i.e. Alt+F10 from within Windows)

Flashfox, Sep 14, 2008
  9. Flashfox

blakelyg

When you chat with them tell them that the new version does not work either. From what I can see from the doc you require software called NTI Media Maker in order to be able to burn CD. Other than that there appeared to be no difference from the previous version (of course I made a restore point before I did the install).

G

blakelyg, Sep 15, 2008
  10. Flashfox

Flashfox

I will ask.

By the way, NTI Media Maker is available here: http://www.ntius.com/main_mediamaker.htm
    Seems like it's just another application similar to NERO. I downloaded the 30-day tril and I will now think about trying this on my ONE.

Flashfox, Sep 15, 2008
  11. Flashfox

Flashfox

Update... I received an E-mail response from them yesterday telling me that ACER does NOT provide on-line support for the Aspire ONE, that I have to call them and that the wait might be long. So... that's my plan for today. As for NTI, I did not install it as it will be useless if ACER tells me that they don't offer a method to create recovery disks. On the other hand, I already copied my PQSERVICE partition to a DVD using Acronis True Image 10. More to follow...

Flashfox, Sep 16, 2008
  12. Flashfox

Nosferatu

I have sent a request to ACER support in Sweden, let's see what they'll say...
    Even though I'm running Vista and like you made a copy of my partitions before install, It would be nice to know how to make the system recove disc.
    This is strange, the lycky AAO/linux-users have a solution:
    http://support-web.acer-euro.com/app/cs ... covery.pdf
    I'll let you know how it goes, I give them a couple of days to respond, before I call the support by telephone.

Nosferatu, Sep 16, 2008
  13. Flashfox

Magick72

I called Acer last week when I received my ONE... they said there is no physical media (CD/DVD) for the unit yet. They said to wait 2-3 weeks and call back. All XP users that bought a ONE and regsitered will get a copy of the CD/DVD once there is one to send out..
    Hope this helps any...

Magick72

Magick72, Sep 17, 2008
  14. Flashfox

D_1

Hello all.

On my One; under the C:\Acer\Empopwering Technology\eRecovery catalog there is an executable called 'PopupMsgBackup'.
    Start this program and u will be prompted to make backup of default factory settings on either CDs or DVD media.

Hope this help.

Cheers ;)

D_1

D_1, Sep 17, 2008
  15. Flashfox

Nosferatu

The answer they gave me was that "there is no support to create a recovery-disc on this model, you can order the disks for 300SEK (~€32)"

Nosferatu, Sep 17, 2008
  16. Flashfox

Flashfox

I believe I tried this on my AO150. It opens up the eRecovery panel but does NOT offer me the possibility of creating the recovery CD/DVD set. I only have the option to RESTORE programs or to factory default.

Flashfox, Sep 17, 2008
  17. Flashfox

Flashfox

I believe I tried this on my AO150. It opens up the eRecovery panel but does NOT offer me the possibility of creating the recovery CD/DVD set. I only have the option to RESTORE programs or to factory default.

Flashfox, Sep 17, 2008
  18. Flashfox

blakelyg

I tried this as well and got the same result. Now it seemed to indicate that when u inserted the CD/DVD that the burning process would start automatically. When I did that the burning software kicked (that came with the external drive) in but of course it was looking for an image file to burn. Nothing really from Acer eRecovery

blakelyg, Sep 17, 2008
  19. Flashfox

deuxforever13

i tried this method too. however, i think its just an executable file without an actual program attached to it. in other words, i think its just a macro to connect you to the recovery creation part of the acer empowring recovery software, which was inconveniently not installed in the XP One... bascially its just like an empty executable, like a shell, like the image of an icon....

deuxforever13, Sep 18, 2008
  20. Flashfox

rhendrix9

rhendrix9, Sep 18, 2008
Ask a Question