AO 150 + Intel 4965AGN = code 10 in windows 7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Trrusst, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Trrusst

Trrusst

Hi guys!

My first post/topic as I'm having a problem with my beloved AO150 (model ZG5).

So, due to weird and annoying behavior of the original Atheros EG5007 card, I decided to switch to an Intel 4965AGN card since there is an excellent How-to-do-guide and many other users also swapped to this card with success.

I bought an Intel card (seems to have been in a Lenovo T400), installed it (but I didn't install the extra-antenna since I didn't want to take apart the display) and.. surprise! Code 10 driver error (cannot load), in Windows 7 32bit freshly installed!

I've tried all driver versions I could find on the internet (and all types of tricks to force install the driver), both Intel and Lenovo - still not working! The same code 10!

Funny thing, though: booting a live distro of Linux (Kubuntu in my case), the card is recognized immediately and works flawlessly.

Where could the problem be?
    Thank you

Trrusst, Oct 11, 2011
  2. Trrusst

Trrusst

Problem solved by replacing the card with another Intel 4965AGN card, this coming out of a Toshiba laptop.
    So, it seems that Lenovo/IBM cards might have sort of a protection (hardware? software?) that works in Windows (7?), but can be successfully bypassed by a Linux distribution.

Trrusst, Oct 12, 2011
  3. Trrusst

Ibidem

Lenovo/IBM cards have unique PCI IDs; this allows blocking all non-lenovo cards on Thinkpads. Code 10 in Windows but not Linux evidently means that the block is in the driver software; if you can change the PCI ID, that should solve the issue. (I've heard of it being done, but not seen it)

Ibidem, Jan 2, 2012
Ask a Question