Anyone with choppy flash video playback read here!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sandydoull, Jun 17, 2009.

1. sandydoull

sandydoull

There seems to be linux-wide issue that has existed in as far back as version 9 of adobe flash player. Symptoms are choppy video playback especially when viewing fullscreen videos from sites such as youtube, BBCiplayer, hulu.com etc.

It might help if everyone who is having this issue goes to adobe's support site and votes for the bug to be worked on: http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1692

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue, if so you might want to let them know over at adobe :lol:

sandydoull, Jun 17, 2009
  2. sandydoull

ptr_Anon

EASY?!

I found it was really bad when watching the BBC iPlayer, made it my goal to sort it out.... took about, pffftt, 20mins of google searching and an hour (n00by times) of figuring out how to install linux stuuffy stuff.

All you gotsta do is upgrade your firefox.. the one shipped is out of date, and if u updtae through firefox it doesn't work, you have to re-install fixefox, but make sure its the latest linpus compatable version.

can't believe i signed up to this forum to anwser a question. how sad of me lol.

anyway just google stuff, you find it eventually :)

i believe i found all the links n stuff for firefox somewhere on this forum- be dammed if i can recalled the post!

ptr_Anon, Jun 27, 2009
  3. sandydoull

sandydoull

OK, glad to hear u got it working, i'm using a different linux distro and have the latest firefox installed, might be worth doing a fresh install in any case, thanks for being ar$ed to register, good to know i can always revert to linpus if all else fails:)

sandydoull, Jun 28, 2009
  4. sandydoull

Guest Guest

Actually, I found another solution for choppy Flash in fullscreen mode.
    It's described in http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=28474 and essentially sums up to adding the following two lines:
    Code:
    echo "disable=4" > /proc/mtrr
    echo "base=0x1f800000 size=0x800000 type=write-back" > /proc/mtrr
    to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.S and rebooting the Aspire One.

After doing this on my 512 Mb Aspire One with stock Linpus distro, flash videos play smoothly both in default Firefox 2 (with default Flash Player 9) and in Firefox 3.5 (installed per macles* instructions).

Guest, Jul 11, 2009
  5. sandydoull

sandydoull

I have applied this fix to my eeebuntu install but it doesn't seem to help, might have to revert to fedora!

sandydoull, Jul 11, 2009
  6. sandydoull

Guest Guest

Ubuntu uses a different Linux kernel version and therefore the MTRR fix is a bit different for it - see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne for details (if I understand correctly, you only need to apply item 1 from "To Fix Choppy Video Playback With Intel Video" section).

Guest, Jul 11, 2009
  7. sandydoull

sandydoull

It was from there i got the fix i applied, but I still have choppy fullscreen flash video:(

sandydoull, Jul 11, 2009
Ask a Question