Anyone Using Windows Backup?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by OhioTom76, Mar 14, 2014.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76

I recently reformatted two of my machines that were acting up, and I am looking around for some alternative backup options aside from what came bundled with my computers - since those got wiped out during the reformat.

I'm aware that Windows has a built in utility to make an image of your system as a backup, but I've never used it before let alone restored a system with it.

I did use it recently to make a backup of my hard drive to a separate partition on it - at the very least to save me the hassle of going through all these Windows Updates for hours on end. But I noticed that it appears to be adding to this backup or doing something as the days go by, because it's giving me error messages now that it doesn't have enough space on the partition.

Does Windows Backup continue doing some sort of incremental backups to the image or something? There is not enough space on the extra partition for it to do a full second image on it, so I am not clear what it is doing, or how much space I need to allocate to it.

Any thoughts/ideas?

OhioTom76, Mar 14, 2014
  2. OhioTom76

mikelouis

That thing just eats up your hard disk for no good reason. Just make sure that you back up all the important documents every time so as to keep them safe. Installing a new operating system after the first one has crashed will take only a few minutes.

mikelouis, Mar 15, 2014
  3. OhioTom76

gadgetised

Agreed. I would just back up files myself. Maybe use some cloud storage too in case you don't trust your hard drives.

gadgetised, Mar 15, 2014
Ask a Question