Anyone try the new Elive yet?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SlCKB0Y, Jun 28, 2009.

1. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

Anyone try the new Elive yet?

http://www.elivecd.org/Main/News/

SlCKB0Y, Jun 28, 2009
  2. SlCKB0Y

Gleth

I'm using it on my AAO now to post this. I downloaded the iso, burnt it to CD, then made a bootable usb stick with the usb-bootable-elive app that's part of the live cd. It worked fine, though I had to make a second partition on the usb stick so I'd have somewhere to put the iso image for the script to find it, but apart from that it's all just working. The distro seems fairly quick to boot, and is nice and responsive to use. I like the OSX style app bar as it saves screen space, and the iceweasle version of firefox also works well while using minimal amounts of space for toolbars etc

The bootable USB stick is a lot quicker than using the CD, and easy enough to make that I'd recommend it for anyone wanting to try ELive on their AAO. Definitly a good job by the ELive people.

Have Fun,
    Gleth

Gleth, Jun 29, 2009
  3. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

Can you test their claim that all hardware is working?

Have you noticed anything not working?

SlCKB0Y, Jun 29, 2009
  4. SlCKB0Y

klamath

I tried the latest unstable 1.9.31
    I'm very impressed about speed, semplicity, and wonderful graphics, after the live I installed it
    on my AA1 D150 ( 10'' ) and on my desktop.
    I just had to upgrade kernel ( 2.6.26.8 --> 2.6.30 ) to make sound and internel mic works
    on D150, and now it is everything working.
    Very very very good job, I donated some cash and hope they will go haead so

klamath, Jun 29, 2009
  5. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

so their claim that everything worked out of the box was not right?

did you manually upgrade the kernel or was their a package update? did you use a particular kernel config?

SlCKB0Y, Jul 2, 2009
  6. SlCKB0Y

DutchDK

It defiintely doesn't work on AAO's out of the box, if you have a A series (ZG5 models A110 or A150).
    I've opened up a couple of bugs on their bugtracker with the most critical ones :
    1) Hangs if you have a SD card in the left or right card reader, after populating the udev framework. You have to remove the SD card in order to "successfully" boot.
    2) When "successfully" booted to the desktop, the AAO shuts down after between 30 seconds and 1 minute, whether you are using it or not. Thinking it might be due to them using an old kernel, loading acer-wmi and madwifi ath_pci (which is known not to play nice together) and coretemp module that doesn't recognise the Atom processor.
    3) Grub menu options for booting without temperature (no sensors) control doesn't work, since the kernel options passed are a duplicate of the grub menu option for booting without bluetooth.

They get an A for intent, and an F for implementation, regarding their socalled full Aspire One support.

DutchDK, Jul 2, 2009
Ask a Question