Anyone seen a Vista->Win7 performance drop like **this**...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by seanrz, Jan 29, 2010.

1. seanrz

seanrz

I just bought the 751h - 1621 with Vista Home Basic and was obviously disappointed by the anemic performance. I ran the performance assessment and got:

Processor: 2.7
    Memory: 4.2
    Graphics: 2.9
    Gaming Graphics: 3.0
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.7

After reading on this forum about how people experienced performance increases after installing Windows 7, I decided to follow suit. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate, with all the latest drivers (see below), but my new assessment is utterly attrocious:

Processor: 1.9 (-0.8) <---(WTF!!!!)
    Memory: 4.2
    Graphics: 2.9
    Gaming Graphics: 2.5 (-0.5)
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.7

Has anyone else experienced as bad a degredation in performance as I have?

seanrz, Jan 29, 2010
  2. seanrz

bluevolume

You might be able to up those with some better drivers, but who cares? The WPI is a joke anyway. It is not an accurate benchmark of anything.

bluevolume, Jan 31, 2010
  3. seanrz

seanrz

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't quote these figures for serious benchmarking, but it does serve as a ballpark indicator that the 751h funkin' sucks ass!! I was really just praying someone might offer a creative solution, distinct from those I've found searching the forums.

seanrz, Jan 31, 2010
  4. seanrz

Orbiting234

This shouldn't have been terribly surprising. While the numbers are indeed lower, that does NOT mean your system performance dropped.

In Vista, the Windows Experience Index went on a scale of 1.0-5.9. With 7, that scale has changed to a 1.0-7.9 scale so the results between the two operating systems cannot be compared. FWIW, my N270 processor gets a 2.2 in Win7. Your lower clocked Z520 getting a 1.9 is right in line and an accurate assessment for Win7's index.

That being said, you probably shouldn't have installed Ultimate. Tons of excess services running in the background that a lowly netbook doesn't need. Starter or Home Premium would have been the best bet.

Orbiting234, Feb 2, 2010
  5. seanrz

seanrz

I had considered that, however, you'll notice that three stats were identical going from vista to Win7. It does *feel* slower too, which is what prompted me to measure it in the first place. Anyway, the changing scale is the best explanation I have. So I'll consider the case closed.

Good point. I hadn't considered that. I'll look into what the differences are.. I can most likely just turn off the extra services I don't need. But it's a moot point at the moment anyway. I bricked the damn thing trying to update my BIOS. (Im so frustrated right now.. I was using the software Acer provides on their own damn website!! Grrrr!)

seanrz, Feb 3, 2010
Ask a Question