Anyone here upgrading ram for a fee???

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by gorgerax, Dec 24, 2008.

1. gorgerax

gorgerax

I bought one of the Black Friday $249 AAO from Newegg with Linux and 512 memory. It actually works great for what I use it for, but being a guy..I mean, a tinkerer...I can't ever leave well enough alone! I am thinking about switching to Ron's TinyXP but I'm SURE I'd want to upgrade the ram for acceptable perfomance.

I've watched the You Tube vid's and could no doubt do it myself...been building and modding PC's for years...but I hate mucking around with tiny parts and pieces! (fat fingers) 'sides...I saved enough on my initial investment and am willing to pay someone reputable to add 1GB to mine. And I bet a lot of less techie peeps would be too!

Anyone already doing this or considering doing this? Hell...also offer installing TinyXP and make a nice little hobby/sideline business out of it!

Thanks. Great board!

gorgerax, Dec 24, 2008
  2. gorgerax

Whambo

I was scared about it too but finally bit the bullet and did it last night.. It's really not that bad.. I used this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xKSpW3q ... re=related) and just referenced it whenever I was feeling iffy.. Hardest part was reconnecting the keyboard at the end!

Whambo, Dec 24, 2008
  3. gorgerax

dskid807

I'm used to poking around inside PCs and Laptops but the AAO seems daunting. If the local pc shop will do it cheaply then I'll get them to do it, if not I'll order some RAM from ebuyer, get my jeweller's screwdriver set out and pray for the best. One of the things I'm worried about is attaching the feet again. What did everyone else use to stick them back on?

dskid807, Dec 24, 2008
  4. gorgerax

Whambo

It's dbl sided tape.. was easy to take the feet out with my fingers and the tape stayed on them.. so they stuck back in no problem :)

Whambo, Dec 24, 2008
  5. gorgerax

guycross

Somebody would make a decent second income about upgrade RAM in netbooks, seriously...
    I would pay £20 plus the cost of the memory for a RAM upgrade.
    I would probably try and stretch to £30 for a RAMjob (lol) and SSD to HDD swap.

Damn I would administrate this business opportunity if someone wants to take it up... I would code the site and process orders for a cut of the takings...

drop me a line [email protected] if you a: wanna make £20 quid for upgrading my RAM b: wanna talk business opportunities.

Guy

guycross, Dec 27, 2008
  6. gorgerax

UncleBeer

The local vendor near me who sells the Acers (uh...Santa brought mine!) says he'll add the gig of RAM for 35 Euros, memory included. There's bound to be a place like that near you.

(I hear you: I'm sure I'm capable of doing it myself, but at this cheap price, why risk it?) :D

UncleBeer, Dec 27, 2008
  7. gorgerax

gorgerax

Exactly what I was thinking when I originally posted this! Since then, I've read posts from peeps that can do it in 30 or even 20 minutes! At $25-30usd a pop...plus $10 for GB of good memory, that's a pretty decent part-time income!!! And shipping would be pretty cheap for these tiny things, too...

Guy: your offer to help set this service up is great...that may be what it takes! There are seemingly qualified peeps posting guides on this board, and theres Tankgrl (sp?) out on the internet, several peeps that have posted You Tube vids that you could contact to make the offer. Yah; include upgarding the SSD/HD, doing the touchscreen mod and upgrading the wireless card the 802.11N (the Intel cards that fit are like +/-$25usd) And the "business plan" should cover ALL netbooks!

Hell...I'm getting excited about this. Maybe I'll quit my crummy $120K, 9 to 5 job and do this! ;)

BTW...since I posted this I went ahead and got rid of Linux and installed Ron's TinyXP that includes MS Office, Firefox, etc. Took me @ 15 minutes total, takes barely 1 GB of my SSD, EVERYTHING works and is fast! Probably don't even need the extra memory but I already bought it so... :?

gorgerax, Dec 27, 2008
  8. gorgerax

guycross

I have not received one email... there is a pc shop near me that must be struggling, I am thinking of walking in and offering him a free business concept...

guycross, Dec 28, 2008
  9. gorgerax

guycross

I offered him a free business concept, and offered him $$$ to upgrade my AAO.
    Nada, nothing.

This is why small businesses fail.

guycross, Jan 8, 2009
  10. gorgerax

jaydon34

I say give it a go. It's really super simple. Took me all of an 1 hour to complete on my SSD Aspire One and it worked great. I even removed the ram before returning it (found the SSD to be too slow). I now have the model that shipped with 1gb ram so I've yet to make the upgrade to 1.5 gb.

jaydon34, Jan 9, 2009
  11. gorgerax

jackluo923

I could do it for you if you want.
    I've upgraded my AAo to 1.5GB and i could easily upgrade your ram.

jackluo923, Jan 9, 2009
  12. gorgerax

Eosblue

If you don't live close to jackluo923, you can get it done at Best Buy. At least I just did for $39.99 plus the memory stick. I can remember in the early to mid 80's paying some joker $50 for a 1 Meg stick and thinking I got a great deal! If it wasn't for the zillion screws, the ribbon disconnects, the mother/daughter board removals and the wifi board removal, I would have done the job myself.

Eosblue, Feb 12, 2009
  13. gorgerax

teaker1s

I would be prepared to upgrade aspire ones for a fee, mine is running 320gb hd and 1.5 gb ram. Further to this I have a custom intall of ubuntu jaunty which I can remaster. Really the secret to stripping an aspireone is care and the right screw drivers.

teaker1s, Apr 5, 2009
Ask a Question