Anyone have wrong time in OSX?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by MoonDog, Feb 7, 2009.

1. MoonDog

MoonDog

Hi, I have the iATKOS5i installed on my AAO and updated to version 10.5.6.
    I would like to know if anyone notices a difference in time between the machine's time (as seen in the BIOS for example) and the time displayed in OSX.
    I noticed that I have a difference in these time equivalent to my time zone which makes me think that OSX considers the BIOS time as GMT and displays the difference to the time-zone selected.
    With this the time appears different between Windows (for example) and my OSX if both are set up to have my time-zone.

So, is this just the way that OSX works? Or, do I have to set up something so that OSX matches all other times? The only way I figured out what to do to keep the times the same is to 'lie' to OSX (or instead to everything else) about my timezone.

I appreciate any thoughts...

MoonDog, Feb 7, 2009
  2. MoonDog

robo

The problem is that OS X stores the system time as GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), and then translates this to your time zone, while Windows stores the time in your local time zone. The BIOS also expects time to be in the local time zone. The Mac way actually makes a bit more sense to me (as usual), but that's beside the point.

Anyhow, there are a number of solutions to this, some rather ugly, but the cleanest is to have OS X switch times upon startup and shutdown.

Instructions are given here. Use the 'MacOS X Responsibility' ones. I found that the Tiger version works fine in Leopard, and is a bit simpler to set up, as the mechanism it uses is till functional in 10.5 although Apple has said it's going away at some point (but probably not until a later version like 10.6 or something):

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index ... al_for_RTC

robo, Feb 7, 2009
Ask a Question