Anyone had success installing SL to MBR format? **SOLVED**

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by ahovis, Nov 19, 2009.

1. ahovis

ahovis

So I have had my one dual booting XP and OSX 10.5.6 and would like to do the SL update but so far no success. I tried using NetBook Maker RC4 and have no problems booting into SL but when I get to the point of installing on my current OSX partition I get an error as the installer says must be a GUID formatted disc. I tried moding the OSInstall.mpkg but still will not install. Anyone been able to make this work as I have way too much on the XP partition to reformat? Anything else need to be done besides editing the mpkg to make the install work?

OK so this is how you make it work: "Thanks to the folks on irc://irc.osx86.hu/#snowleopard , I found the solution to the MBR problem. Turns out the old mpkg trick does not work on 10A432 (and probably for any future Snow Leopard install discs). Instead, a patched OSInstall framework is required. The file needed can be downloaded here (http://rapidshare.de/files/48169736/OSInstall.zip.html), and needs to be placed at "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System//Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall". Make sure it's executable, and you're off to the MBR races."

ahovis, Nov 19, 2009
  2. ahovis

AK963

Hi, thanks very much for posting the solution. I followed Rory's guide to restore the Snow Leopard image to a hard drive and use netbook bootmaker to make it bootable. After replacing the OS install file I could now choose my Leopard partition for installation, but at about a third of the way through the install fails saying it couldn't copy the necessary support files.

[​IMG]

I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that when copying over the OS install file I couldn't find an option in "get info" to make it executable. I've also formatted the partition from disk utility as mac osx journaled, but it still fails with the same error.

Any adivce is appreciated.

AK963, Nov 21, 2009
  3. ahovis

AK963

After installing the image more than 5 times on two different drives it turned out the problem was Netbook bootmaker RC4, the stable release worked fine. So my issue was unrealted to this hack :)

AK963, Nov 21, 2009
  4. ahovis

smarcin

AD963, can you tell me what, exactly, worked for you? Did you upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard?

Thanks. Sally

smarcin, Nov 29, 2009
  5. ahovis

AK963

Previously I had iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6, all it did was select that partition. The installer told me it recognized that OS X was already installed on it, and said that all settings and accounts would remain intact. I proceeded to install and everything went fine, I booted in to SL and it asked my to enter the password for the account I had on Leopard :)

AK963, Dec 2, 2009
Ask a Question