Anyone had success connecting to D-Link Wifi access point?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aspired, Aug 29, 2008.

1. aspired

aspired

As a number of people have reported, my Aspire One sees the Wi-fi network but will not connect.

I am using a D-Link DWL-2100AP access point with 64 bit WEP shared security.

3 notebook pc's, a video camera and a Palm PDA all connect without any problem.

I have tried running with no security and with 128 bit WEP - the result is exactly the same.

However, on returning to PCWorld, the Aspire One connected successfully to a Belkin access point.

So I'm coming to the conclusion that it's a compatibility issue with the D-Link AP.

I'm not familiar enough with Linux to get under the Aspire One bonnet to investigate what's going on.

Anyone any ideas as to the cause or, even better, a fix?

Thanks.

aspired, Aug 29, 2008
  2. aspired

roberton

I've had similar problems with the BT Voyager 2100 router.

This page
    http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?p=855219
    looks like it may have the solution.

Unfortunately my Linux skills are too limited to implement this yet.

To quote the web-site:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The first MAC address (ends with :AA) is what Linux will use to talk to the router, but the router instead wants us to use the second one (ends in :C2). Each time Linux tries to send a packet to the first MAC, it gets an unsolicited ARP reply telling Linux to use the second MAC instead. Linux ignores this. Apparently windows does not ignore it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's an awk script to download which fixes the problem. As yet I still don't know how to get Linpus to run this.

roberton, Aug 30, 2008
  3. aspired

aspired

Thanks for the pointer though I'm not entirely sure that it's the same problem - I don't have a BT Router.

I took a look at the link but like you the fix is probably beyond my current Linux skills - I'll investigate further.

aspired, Aug 30, 2008
  4. aspired

Deoki

Your D-Link model may not connect with your One, but I had absolutely no problems connecting my One and all my other PC's and Laptops to my new D-Link DIR-301 (part of the DWK-111 kit with a USB dongle).

It's a great router and I may put in DD-WRT.

Did you try updating it's firmware?

Deoki, Aug 31, 2008
  5. aspired

roberton

Have you tried using WPA encryption instead of WEP encryption?

This fixed connection problems with my BT Voyager 2100 router and Linpus.

roberton, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question