Anyone else get stuck with a Broadcom card after RMA?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by MrNiceguy, Nov 3, 2008.

1. MrNiceguy

MrNiceguy

I had to send my AA1 in to be fixed due to problems with the wireless. It has the 160GB hard drive and originally came with XPHome, but I set it up to dual-boot Linpus as well. I had problems with the wireless - my connection would hang. Windows would show the connection as active, but with no traffic, and I'd have to completely power off to get it to reconnect. (Similar problem under Linpus)

Just got my AA1 back, and, in addition to wiping my drive, they replaced the Atheros wireless card with a Broadcom. I'm a little bit ticked off. First of all, Broadcom is infamous for its poor Linux support. Secondly, my WiFi LEDs don't seem to work properly. The traffic light doesn't light up at all, and the other light is off when wireless is enabled and on when it's disabled.

Has anyone ever tried using the standard Linpus Light with a Broadcom card? I really like the quick boot of Linpus, and I'm thinking about trying out a triple-boot with Ubuntu, my usual Linux distro. I do actually have an Intel 2200 wireless card that I salvaged from another laptop a couple of years ago, but I'd really rather not void my warranty at this point.

MrNiceguy, Nov 3, 2008
  2. MrNiceguy

mzc

I'm also experiencing the same issue right now. May I know your BIOS version and the Linpus lite version your installing?

It seems that when I upgraded from BIOS 330/3305 and Linpus V1.0.15E, the wifi problem has been occuring. I have reported the issue to Linpus, because they the one who suggested that I upgrade in the first place.

mzc, Nov 4, 2008
  3. MrNiceguy

MrNiceguy

Not sure I'll be of much help to you. I don't know what the BIOS version was before I sent it in because Acer updated the BIOS while they had my laptop. Also not too sure what version of Linpus I had, but I know its the same version available for download in the "Dual Boot Windows/Linpus Using Backup Image" thread located here: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3043&st=0&sk=t&sd=a If you haven't voided your warranty, your best bet is probably to just call Acer and RMA your AAO. That's what I had to do for the problem.

I guess this whole thread is really more of a Rant thread than anything with useful information. I'm just a bit ticked off at getting a Linux-compatible card replaced with one that's a bit more Linux-hostile.

MrNiceguy, Nov 5, 2008
Ask a Question