Anybody had any problems running linux with 512Mb of ram?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Butler, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Butler

Butler

I've been looking at the Aspire one A150AW, it's the one with 120GB/Linux/512MB ram. Will the Linpus linux be fine with 512Mb of ram? I'll be using it for Internet, Word processing, using it as a media center, I'd also like to have the compiz effects enabled.

Will 512mb of ram be capable of doing all this without any slowdowns? Or will it be worth it getting the the 1GB ram/120GB/Linux version?

Thanks, Butler.;)

Butler, Sep 6, 2008
  2. Butler

N6546R

I'm running Linpus on the 8G SDD model with 512M, and have also run Ubuntu. No problems whatsoever with that much RAM, in fact the thing is snappier than my desktop machines with 2G RAM, even running compiz.

I'm using mine for typical office applications...Opera, OpenOffice/Abiword, and Thunderbird for email.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Sep 6, 2008
  3. Butler

daldred

Same experience here - no problems at all with 512Mb of RAM.

Under Linux that's plenty for most uses anyway: my desktop machine, running servers for my local network and all the usual desktop stuff, very rarely goes over 512Mb of memory usage.

daldred, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question